1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Garmin Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by manxxl, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Afternoon all, anyone tell me what these blocks are on the power lead , there's one either end.

20200426_145617.jpg

2. Wouldn’t be using that cable it’s for a car/laptop

3. Oh, it's the cable I got with the sat nav,

4. Is it a bike satnav and it should sit on a powered cradle

5. No it's a normal car nav but mounted on a iconics multistrada screen mount

6. is it not the cable for plugging into a lap top if you need to update the maps?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. it’s called a ferrite core, which is basically a special magnet around the cable to eliminate any noise (interference) that may come from other cables or devices

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cheers, so basically that cable should be used for computer connection not just to power sat nav up

9. it will not power it, just charge and transfer files. When you plug it in the Garmin goes into transfer mode and will not show routes an guidance etc

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well... that depends on what model Garmin it is! If it's a car nav then it will run off the USB mini lead. If it's a bike one then it'll be cradle or self-powered.

11. you could also run a lead direct from the battery, I don’t recommend using the external power points as things fall out of them in the move etc, even got melted by the exhaust.

12. Not sure about that - surely a 12v to 5v step-down is required?

13. Sorry I forgot about that!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information