1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Fix It Quick Before Summers Over!!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Daniel Abbott, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I’ve had nothing but trouble Only had my duke a couple of days when the check engine light came on and it stunk of eggs! It’s been in for a diagnostic test and apparently the rectifier is toast and it’s over charging the battery new battery and rectifier being fitted next week, not great but at least it’s sorted the problem. While it was in the shop I managed to snap up this little lot for £550. Just hope I can get it all fitted!
    Out of interest at what temperature does the fans kick in on a 749? C1128957-8605-495E-B748-57EA0C5E3DA9.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. welcome to ducati ownership! treat the rectifier and battery as regular consumable items especially if they're oem. Most people go aftermarket on both after they get cooked.

Nice buying on the exhaust, most of the ones sold used are around that money. :)

3. They haven’t fitted them yet, do you think I should ask them to fit something other than OEM?

4. Go with mosfet type reg/ rectifier and a shorai battery.
    I got the shorai battery from www.carrotcycles.co.uk

5. Stick to Yuasa Batteries :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Thanks for the replies, the dealer will only fit OEM equipment, but if it happens again I’ll fit the gear you suggest.

Now the termi exhaust I’ve got, the previous owner said he had it on his standard 749 with no issues but I’ve been told I’ll need a new ECU or fit a power commander? What problems will I have if I don’t do this?

7. With respect to @Sev , who is very knowledgable. I've never had a problem with 749 or 999 reg/rec. Mine have had OEM fitted and have not let me down. I'm in the non Li-Ion battery camp with @Exige , along with many others I'd find more benefit from laying off the cooked breakfasts than from fitting a far more sensitive battery if weight loss was the goal. It's much discussed that non-OE batteries can cause other issues elsewhere in the system. Others feel very much that they're a worthwhile and safe modification.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Stock ECU will sort out the basic fueling and the bike will run ok. If you want to get the maximum out of the bike, then fit a PC and have it mapped, or see if someone can flash the standard ECU for you. But, try just fitting the exhaust and take it out. Bet it will feel OK.

9. Fans kick in at 101 and 104(2nd fan).
    I ran my 999 for 7 yrs with termi on std ecu with no probs. Got my ecu flashed to dp spec when I put race air filters in.

10. I've only real experience of the 2 valve reg-recs so i'll bow to the greater knowlege on this one
    I've yet to buy one to add to the 999 parts bin so I'm interested in seeing what everyone's opinion on this is.:)

#11 Sev, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks gents much appreciated

12. you any relation to Diane?

13. Don’t think so, but couldn’t count on it!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Daniel, your regulator failed to high voltage and was probably charging the battery at >18v, boiled it and may have melted parts of it. The exact reason why using a LiIon battery on a standard system like the 999/749 is ill advised. You would be in danger of a fire if the same failure occurred and overcharged the LiIon battery. OEM batteries are Yuasa AGM and the dealer is unlikely to fit MOSFET or LiIon alternatives unless they do it with no warrantee and no come back.
    Electrex (that make aftermarket replacements for just about every bike including the RR53 fitted to later 748s, 749, 996,998 and 999 which includes MOSFET in its design) include a disclaimer at this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5ekhntoafnc693/Battery Types.pdf?dl=0 which advises not to use a LiIon NiMH or NiCD with this type of regulator. Using the MOSFET regulator with a LiIon battery is a good idea until they go wrong.

#15 Denzil the Ducati, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Glad you found that - I have mentioned and linked this before, yet people still say: 'mines been fine so there can't be an issue' :rolleyes: and still they will say it o_O, here they are now...……….:motorcycleduc::bomb:

:)

16. The difference is that the regulator manufacturers understand what will happen when various electronic components used in their equipment fail, they can fail to low/no voltage or to high. Anyone who has driven a Ducati for any time will have had a regulator fail unless they have been very lucky, I have had three fail on two bikes in the last eleven years including one which was charging the battery at 19v. All was working fine until it went wrong in every instance, it was just a matter of time

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 52ED8ABE-2ED4-4041-88FD-4F9B7AA5DC71.jpeg Finally got the bike back and fitted a termi half system is it worth purchasing a power commander and having it rolling road set up, will I notice the difference?

• Like Like x 1
  18. (A swing bin! You score 10 bonus bin-points!)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Surely double points for two bins in one picture! Although one has arrows in it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information