1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flaking Chrome On St3 Rockers?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Barry, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hi,
    Been doing some work on the ST3 over the summer between sunny days.

Has anyone come across flaking chrome on their ST3 rockers. I thought it was sorted by 2005 but I have had two rockers with this problem (now replaced). The bikes done 33,000

It also found out I had the same front sprocket misalignment spotted on Brad the Bike Boys site. I fitted a 5mm hardened shim to the gearbox side of the sprocket and the chain alignments now spot on. No wonder the marks left on the chain guide are at an angle.

One last thing I spotted was that I could not turn the fan on and off using the ECU software out there ie Tune ECU. It turns out that the fan relay on the 2005 ST3 is connected to pin 14 not 11 as the Circuit diagrams say. I am guessing that this must have happened during the transition to O2 feedback on the 2006 models. In the end I swapped pins 11 and 14 in the ecu socket and the fan works fine and can be set and tested with the ECU software. Alternatively this would mean changing the pin in software.
    Safe riding
    Barry

2. Hi

Can I ask how much you paid for the rockers?

I've just had two spare worn rockers refaced by Newman Cams in anticipation of finding worn ones when I get around to a top end service on my ST4.

Total price for the two was just on £100, about 10 days turnaround.

3. Yes I had some resurfaced in the USA by EMSDUC as I could not find anyone in the UK at that time. I had two exhaust rockers done and two others checked for around $200 including postage to and from the US. One of them had a crater in it right the way through the chrome which EMS had not seen before. Still managed to get it resurfaced though.

I now have a spare set of heads rockers and cams that I can change over whilst doing the valve clearance. I found I could do the vertical head ok in-situ but the horizontal head was best done removed.
    cheers
    Barry

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I have an 06' ST3 that had a bad exhaust opener rocker that I replaced over the winter. Rare but it does happen. I purchased an entire head off of Ebay which was cheaper than buying a single rocker. BTW, the intake and exhaust rockers have the same part # so are interchangeable.

Scott L.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information