1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Footrests Refurb 996?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by WAYNE, Jul 2, 2020.

1. What would people suggest is the best way to refurb all footrests on 996 as in coatings and prep because mine need a new lease of life(no i'm not buying new one's)?

2. @bettes
    Wayne have a word with Ian, he’s a pro at this

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. If you want mint, Wayne, you’ll have to strip the anodise off them, polish then reanodise.
    You could try to get a few bits done all at once like the top yoke, front and rear rearsets...
    That’s what I’ve done in the past and I was happy enough with the finish. But, the problems start there...
    As soon as you have minty new rear sets, you’ll never be happy with the corroded bolts. They’ll need re zincing. Do that and something else which just looks bad/wrong will jump out at you...

And now I’ll pass you over to @Expat Jack. He’ll tell you where to go from there. :)

Ian

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. So very, very true. And so it starts.......

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. If it were me I’d just get some LSL or Gilles pegs. Sexier, grippier, less hassle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. I know what you mean about other things jumping out, it's like a brand new bike and you start noticing every little scratch:joy:, my top yoke is in excellent condition it's just my footrests looking tired, i might go down the getting them re anodised road.
    :upyeah:

#7 WAYNE, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Perhaps get them vapour blasted and then re lacquer them, i did this process on my RGV 250 and it didn't look half bad tbh
    Before...obviously
    29.jpg 91.jpg 96.jpg After...:upyeah::upyeah:

#9 Bobagoat46, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Never thought about that...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. +1 for Cerakote. Not had any done personally yet, but have seen parts coated in the flesh, absolute mint.

• Like Like x 1
  10. At £85 ish per footrest bracket wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy new ?
    Anyone painted them mine have been polished and it’s starting to annoy me

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information