1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Fork Compatibility...

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Blakey749s, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Hi guys,

I saw some 2014 R1 fork legs for sale for £300... All black with gold stanchions and radial caliper mounts, would look lovely on my bike.

What do i need to check to see if they'll fit?
    Has anyone made a list of fork legs that fit straight in?

Im guessing:
    Fork leg diameter/circumference
    Fork length
    Caliper mount position
    Axel size and type
    Mounts for front fender

Im happy with the performance of my current set up, so this is only cosmetic if i'm honest. This is for my 05 749s.

Thanks for any help

#1 Blakey749s, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. ok :)
    its all relatively simple..
    You need to know your 749 Upper and lower yoke diameters
    the length of the fork unloaded from centre of axle to the top of the fork top.

You many find that you need to have spacers made if say the R1 forks are 50/54 and yours are 53/54 for instance.
    The R1 and other japanese bikes will have 108mm caliper spacing unlike Italian bikes who have 100mm radial caliper spacing.

There will also be the caliper mounting offset to consider as this might mean that your disc will need spacers - luckily Ducati choose a narrow track hub as standard so there's room to move on your front wheel.

The axle will more than likely be a 25mm as is yours iirc.

Get the information from your forks and from the R1 forks and I can help you take it from there :)

All sportsbike forks generally have around a 120mm travel so it might mean that you would only need to respring, but the BPS forks you're looking at might be ok.

get the info first..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks very much , i should be able to get the figures this eve, promised id do diy today...

:upyeah:

4. No worries :)
    its also worth trying to get the fork leg caliper offset as well for the R1 forks.
    This is the measurement from the centreline of the fork to the centreline of the mounting bolts for the radial calipers- this will be of great help when it comes to calculating disc offset and whether they will need spacers. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Has the yoke hole pitch distance been mentioned?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. 108mm caliper offset is 22.5mm. 100mm caliper is 30mm offset

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Not yet FE. I was going to take it one stage at a time so as not to overwhelm Blakey with too much detail. Feed it as it's required and then he can see the way the methodology works clearly. :)

As it is, what is it on the 999/749?

Is this on the R1 forks or the Ducati radials?

• Like Like x 1
  8. From memory 205mm

All 100mm are the same,as are 108 regardless of marque.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Once the forks are in. What you need to do first is to work out the wheel centre postition and make the axle spacers to suit. Then find out once wheel is centred what the wheels disc mounting face to caliper pad centreline Distance. Then subtract the actual discs mount face to discs centre. This should give spacer thickness

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. or just get a front end complete that fits....
    or get the original coated black....

dont see the point..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. ok so from another site I gleaned this information:
    R1 2014 forks (BPS)
    Upper clamping diameter (where upper triple clamp and handlebar sits) = 50mm
    Lower clamping diameter (lower triple clamp) = 54 mm.
    Inner tube diameter = 43 mm.
    Wheel axle diameter = 25 mm.
    Wheel axle floating side (inside RH fork bottom) diameter = 31 mm.

On stock 749/999 forks you're running 53 / 53?
    If this is the case, you'll need to make spacers for the top 1.5mm diameter and machine out the bottoms by 1mm.

The length is way longer than your forks but no worries as you'll just have fork leg poking up past the top yoke. - the travel is 120mm like yours.

Due to the differences in top yoke diameter you'll need bars or again, spacers for your bars.

That's the top sorted.

Working down:
    Fork Track width will dictate caliper and brake disc relation ship - this is why I asked about the caliper mounting to fork leg offset.

205mm across fork centres /2 = 102.5 : from Centreline of bike the fork leg is at +102.5mm

Fork centreline to caliper mounting offset for argument sake is 15mm : 102.5 - 15mm = 87.5mm

The caliper itself will have an offset - brembo 108mm will use 22.5mm : 87.5 - 22.5 = 65mm

To find the disc offset you will need your hub width on your front wheel across the disc mating faces - Lets just say for argument it's 114mm. divided by 2 is 57mm.

Take the 65mm you already have - 65mm - 57 = 8mm

The discs on the 999 are 7.5mm offset - through the centreline NOT the disc face, so you would need in this case if you were being incredibly anal a 0.5mm shim behind the disc in order to make everything line up beautifully.

These are your fundemental measurements. Once you've calculated those, then having the parts in your hands you can look at the R1 spindle and see what spacer mods you need based on the thickness of the fork as @Old rider has outlined above. :)

You may even find your existing spindle or spacers go in just fine - job jobbed - but this will depend on the width of the lower fork clamp being the same as your existing forks.

The Issue you will have is that they're not just a straight slide in and forget, if your yokes are bigger than 53mm then even if they were 56, you could just spacer or shim, and it's always nicer to have to add material than take it away as a home builder. :upyeah:

Oh and you'll need to source calipers as well. In around a month's time I will probably have a set of brembo M50 calipers for sale with a nissin pump, so you'd just need a panigale m/c to get the best from them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Alternatively these fit straight in.

20181010_161053.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not me, Guv

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wow thanks for the info guys!

Top man sev :upyeah:

I can get all this done as my dad has a decent workshop but does seem a lot of work to end up with forks that sit high at top crown when im really just looking for it to be pretty. Interesting to read how much little differences there is between bikes.

Those forks are beautiful! Dare i ask how much your after for them? And would they run my 749 front wheel?

Will the m50 calipers fit on the ohlins? And i have this M/C (19×20), would that work with them?

Thanks again for explaining all this for me

20181024_171652.jpg

15. his Ohlins will be a straight fit as you've got the yokes as well :)
    They will probably take your wheel without issues as well.
    @kev moose what are the forks from my good man? that top yoke isn't a 749/999.

The M50 calipers will be 108mm fitment so no they wouldn't. To keep your costs down, you're better off looking for the M4 calipers that are on the 1098/1198 or the rsv4 aprilia stuff as this will work really nicely with your current 19mm master cylinder.

Do you have standard axial forks on your 749 at the moment? - because if you have radial, just swap everything over of you go for the ohlins stuff. :)

16. The wheel and discs will fit complete with the 749 spacers, the only thing you need is a 1198 type spindle (these are used on lots of other bikes as well)
    The 749 top yoke will also fit, so you still have a steering lock, and the handlebars will fit.
    M50 calipers will fit as will almost any Brembo radial calipers from european bikes (100mm hole centres).
    Now the bit you've been waiting for: Ohlins forks with yokes £900, the legs on their own £750.
    Kev.

17. Sev,
    These forks are from an 1198, top yoke is inter changeable with 749/999. M4 Calipers take a bit of beating and look good as well.

20181007_134256.jpg

18. there you go Blakey, get them bought :) :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. i didn't want to spend that much..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information