1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Covers/shrouds - Any Idea Where I Can Get ‘em?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Zhed46, Nov 11, 2019.

1. This sort of thing

2CABC7FD-5DAA-4423-A390-AB2F66340F8B.jpeg

The photo is of a Tex Moto kit but he seems to be having problems with his carbon fibre guy and so can only supply them in fibreglass at the moment.

Any ideas where else I may be able to get something similar? I’ve eBayed and googled but no joy.

Or, any recommendations for someone who could use the fibreglass items as a mould to make a one-off pair in carbon fibre? I’ll post a separate thread asking about that as well if I don’t get anywhere with my initial question.

Thanks

#1 Zhed46, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Bold styling choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. If its the look of CF that you are most interested in (as opposed to the weight) you could buy the fibreglass ones and have someone put carbonwebbing/ matt on top? Should be asier and cheaper than making a mold and then a whole new set? Done properly it will look the same.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Is that like when Sir Humphrey Appleby use to say to Jim Hacker “That’s a very brave decision, minister” whenever he was trying to dissuade him from doing something daft? ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Thanks. I did think about that, but making the bike as light as possible is very much my “thing” and I also strongly dislike ersatz stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice use of ersatz...great word!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. @Zhed46 I have no idea what purpose / function those shrouds serve. I've tried brainstorming uses but non add up to any value aesthetic or performance :thinkingface::thinkingface:. Kudos on pursuing your individuality :upyeah:

8. If lightness is your absolute goal then do without them, if you want to protect the fork sliders from road grit/salt then a set of machine bellows cut down for length will provide a "boot" similar to 60s/70s bikes.

9. For economic reasons.

If the forks are covered it means my OCD isn’t getting tweaked by the fact I have Showa front suspension and Öhlins rear. Thus, it saves me a lot of money by not having to buy Ohlins forks. And if I’m not getting Ohlins forks then I won’t be tempted to upgrade to a radial brake set up, thus saving even more money.

Man-Maths, innit?

Plus, I like the way they look. ;)

#10 Zhed46, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. What does Paolo Tex sell them for?

11. OK I'll buy that (although I think Showa forks are pretty good). If I'm seeing it correctly, it will defo look interesting when the front dives under braking.

TB

12. The stroke of a fork is about 4” or 5” and it looks like there's a bit less than that amount left spare at the bottom, so I imagine it just slides over. I’ve seen shots of his bikes on track so it must be ok, unless he just turns the compression damping up to 11 when they’re taking piccies?

13. £330 in fibreglass. I think he said £400 for carbon fibre. So, not cheap but still cheaper than Ohlins forks.

14. Man Maths :thinkingface:
    Top colour too :):upyeah:

https://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-miniflo-gutter-dia-76mm-w-76mm-l-2m-brown/81049_BQ.prd

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Brown is the new Carbon - lead the way! o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. If your struggling to find carbon fibre shrouds have you considered having the Showas anodised Ohlins yellow ??

This would weigh less, include a fork service, look tidier, and prob cost less.

TB

17. you know eventually you'll buy the Ohlins anyway too, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I thought about that but isn’t that like buying a “Turbo” badge from Halfords and sticking on a Prius? ;)

There’s nothing wrong with the Showas and as I have a track bike and a commuter, this bike is a bit of a garage Queen so she doesn’t get ridden hard enough to need posh forks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information