1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Fork Off, Suspension Upgrades

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Psenior1, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Had my 959 for a few months now, not long after getting the bike went to see Paul at Racelab in Bournemouth to have the suspension set, he did a great job with the stock setup, but being 120kgs (I'm 6'5") even at max pre load on the standard springs we couldn't get the sag anywhere close to where it ideally should be.

Picked up a K-Tech shock last week which was a doddle to fit, have just had a Matris BPF 959 upgrade kit delivered so the forks need to come off. I'm taking them down to Racelab again for a service and to have the new pistons & springs etc fitted.

Looking at the service manual, fork removal looks fairly straight forward, but the instructions are with the fairings already removed, is it possible to drop the forks with them in place? I'm happy to take the fairings off, just rather not waste time if I don't need to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Depending on the tools you have available you may be able to access the required bolts with the fairing still on but it would be very awkward.

I wouldn’t recommend cutting corners if you are going to do a proper job though as you are going to need enough access to use a torque wrench when you put it back together - that’s not going to be possible with the fairing in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Yeah agreed with this. It's probably okay taking off, but you really want decent access when putting back on for torquing, setting correct height, putting clip ons back on etc. It's probably an extra 30 mins max to take em off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thanks for the replies, just need to shake off this man-flu and get out to the garage and get on with it :mask:

5. Are you building it for the track? Just curious (nosey!).

6. I do use it occasionally on the road but track days is where I get my kicks these days

• Like Like x 1
  7. Forks are off, was fairly straightforward just a bit time consuming, bikes looking very sorry for herself :D

Front axle was a pita to get out, pretty obvious why now. The fork that had the seal replaced by the garage shortly after I got the bike is a good 10-15mm shorter than the other and considerably softer with it too, no wonder we had such probs getting the front sag even close. I know very little about fork internals, no idea how or why this could be??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. The f******CK?!? Good job you're sorting it then! I don't know a lot either, but I'd take a guess at fork oil. Sure someone more knowledgeable will answer, but where ever you are going to get them done will know for sure when they take em apart (and have a giggle)

• Like Like x 1
  9. 3 options
    1. Somebody messed up the reassembly process.
    2. The preload adjuster is broken
    3. You crushed the internals under heavy breaking because you are a giant man! :laughing:
    I have a colleague who’s 6’6” and I can’t imagine him on a Pani - he could bench one though if you took the fuel out!

Out of interest what spring weights have you got in the ktech and the new fork internals?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I imagine if it was down to reassembly it would have been very obvious refitting the front axle, I really hope that isnt the case, I've got a good relationship with where I bought the bike from.

Ignoring how big I look on the bike, it is really comfortable compared to other sports bikes I've tried, when I sat on it I was pretty surprised tbh. Rearsets and comfort seat have made it even better :)

Rear spring is a 90, fronts are 11n/mm, which I think is just under 1.1 in kg's.

11. I'm sure a 90 spring on the rear is for someone tiny. I'd look into that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Standard for the K tech shock is 80…

13. I'm going to check mine shortly. I'm 100kgs and I'm sure mine dips into 3 digits, can't remember 100% what it is though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. If the Ohlins spring rate is anything similar…
    I’m 104 Kgs and have an 85N spring fitted. The suspension setup bloke said even this was a bit too hard for my fat arse. Got it sorted though.

15. I’ll check with the chap who’s doing the forks, he’s a k tech dealer :upyeah:

16. Yeah that's the best bet. Take all our views you'd end up with about 10 different springs :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. This is the guide I use - you are 264.5 lbs - assume that’s geared up? If so then you are at the very top of the weight range - you do have the standard 959 progressive linkage so you might get away with a 95 if you prefer a softer ride but for track I would say 100 would be better. I would say the same with your fork springs - they are stiffer than standard but maybe not stiff enough for your weight on for track. Under hard braking on track I could get close to bottoming out those springs and I’m nowhere near as heavy.

"Rider Weight (In Gear) - Spring Rate

150 Lbs. - 75Nm
    170 Lbs. - 80Nm
    190 Lbs. - 85Nm
    210 Lbs. - 90Nm
    230 Lbs. - 95Nm
    250 Lbs. - 100Nm

Please note these recommendations are for the suspension in the FLAT RATE setting on the 1199/1299, or on an 899/959 with the adjustable linkage kit installed. For an 899/959 without the adjustable linkage OR an 1199/1299 with the suspension set in the PROGRESSIVE setting, chose one spring rate softer than normal recommendation.

If your weight is between the ranges, you can choose either srping rate, choose the softer rate for less aggressive riding or the stiffer rate for more aggressive riding.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Taking the forks down to Racelab now today, I’ll check the spring rates with him

19. Bottom spacer in the fork was fitted upside down :mad:

Spring rates he reckons for the Matris fork kit and K-tech shock on the 959 (and my weight) are good. Be a couple of weeks before its serviced and all back together :)

• WTF WTF x 1
  20. Just got to get out on track to test it now :cool:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information