1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Oil Level

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Derek, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Since Ducati won't sell us a workshop manual there is no way of knowing what the oil level in the forks should be. From the Owners manual:
    Front fork (Supersport) SHELL Advance Fork 7.5 or Donax TA
    26.5 cu in (435 cc) (RH leg)
    26.5 cu in (435 cc) (LH leg)

Front fork (Supersport S) SHELL Advance Fork 7.5 or Donax TA
    35.9 cu in (587.55 cc) (RH leg)
    35.9 cu in (587.55 cc) (LH leg)​
    But to do it right we need to know what the levels from the top should be.
    Does anyone know? @nelly?

2. Nope... we only have oil volumes for either fork. Refill/service is based on a full strip and oil volumes from a "dry" fork. Air gap will probably follow as the forks come into the aftermarket and folk work out the air gaps, but for now that's all we have to work with to.
    As an aside, manuals are available, albeit expensive and particular to model year. It's a condition of euro 4..... it's not all about emissions, but covers availability of tools and tech literature as well. Unfortunatley, they can't set the prices

3. Can't you take the top off an OK one and measure?

4. Thanks for that @nelly. I must say I'm a little surprised but I'd always make sure the fork leg was completely empty anyway.
    If a manual is available for the Supersport how do I get one? And how much are talking about?

5. Normally level measurements are made with the spring and spacers removed. To do this you'd lose some of the fluid.

6. Nothing surprises as much as DUCATI manuals ;)
    I’ll have a look see on the cost of manuals. They are electronic USB mounted and expensive if anything like the price of the ones we get

7. Losing a bit of oil thats clinging to the springs as they are removed wont make a significant difference regarding measuring the gap. Providing the cartridges are covered with oil with the damper rod fully out then they will still provide damping.

For those who are exteremely sensitive to the added compression damping the air gap within the forks can offer then measuring the air gap to the mm becomes important and requires a lot of trial and error to find the right gap.

+/- 5mm isn't going to make any noticable difference to handling. The gap becomes a problem when way too much oil is used after which the lack of air gap will stop the forks compressing.

TB

8. Then take them out and measure? Then measure without them in on the bikes you are setting too. Or am I missing something here? As long as you do the same on both......?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information