1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Oil Recommendations My02 748s

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Denzil the Ducati, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Folks, any recommendations for replacement fork oil in for my 748? Motul Factory Line, Shell, Rock Oil or Silkolene. They are standard spec Showa TiN forks and the book says 7.5W, is there any benefit using heavier or lighter weight oils for road use. No track use, I am 12 stone and intend using spec volume at 492cc and level at 132mm (MY00-02 spec is different than earlier MY set up)

Have not done a fork oil change on a bike since the early 80s so not up to date with the best stuff to use.
    Also should I get 2L to allow for spillage as there is not much to play with from a 1L bottle?

2. Motul factory line. Stick with 7.5w. Don't heed too much the volume, unless you're completely stripping and cleaning the internals. Stick with air gap and you can't go wrong.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks Nelly, these are new forks so I may put some oil in just to flush them a little then set to the 132mm level, I do not intend stripping them beyond the caps and spring.

4. I also use Motul factory line in mine, I went for a slightly lighter grade as the internals have definitely been altered but I don't know to what spec. as the forks came from an ex track bike. Mine were fully cleaned out and seals changed at the same time.

They are perfect now and no stiction problems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Denzil, did you use 7.5w factory line?

Can't find it in the Hynes manual, what the bike takes

6. @Denzil the Ducati ??

7. Sorry Carlo, is missed this. I used 7.5 factory line

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information