1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fork Seals Need Replacing.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by twobigones, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Fork seals and bushes need replacing on my multistrada dvt.
    Bike is 16 months old and 12600miles. Dealer thinks this ok, for the miles and riding through the winter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Tried the little cleaner thingys that you scrape round the seal while in situ.... Fork buddy I think theyre called... Saved me changing a seal...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. My non DVT does them every 11000 miles ...... i have tried these recently to see if they improve matters, designed for MX bikes with USD forks to keep the crap out of them...£17.50 from Kriega

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Had leaking fork seals on my multi, about as much as I changed tyres. It was bloody ridiculous. I too fit the Kreiga protectors but shortly after that the bike died so no idea if they worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Had one of my fork seals changed at about 6500miles on my DVT, apparently normal wear, so no warranty. Fitted the Kriega protectors, to hopefully make them last longer.

6. Just booked mine in for fork seal replacement, 7k on the clocks, 1 year old :(

7. Had mine done at 2 k
    My mate also had his done on his XR ?
    Shite components

8. My front right has just gone at 1100 miles :disappointed: but booked in next sat to have it done. No playing this bank holiday :disappointed:

9. 25000 miles and all good. I hope?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The mileages being given for the replacement of fork seals is ridiculous and unacceptable my Blackbird has had 2 sets including the factory originals in 110k miles

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Couldnt agree more .... i had a Kawasaki ZX6 that did 56000 miles on originals seals and the 636 B1 i replaced it with did 38000 on original seals ...... seems the seals on the Multistrada are either a poor design or made of cheese

• Like Like x 1
  12. I would have though they are not made for ducati, rather a generic item no different to ones on Honda etc?? If so then something else is causing ghem to wear prematurely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 11k no problems. Since there's so much dive they sweep a longer area than most bikes?

14. It's obvious either the seals Ducati are using are not fit for purpose or Ducati design is flawed
    The last Varadero i owned did 30k miles without any problems with the fork seals similar weight and fork dive to a Multistrada

15. Ditto... WP forks with plenty of stroke in them and no issues whatsoever.

Not exactly a Ducati issue though, more Ohlins. Could well be that these are a cheap spec Ohlins that's made for oem fitment same as the brakes which are hardly Brembo's best.

16. Anything Ducati spec and fit to there motorcycle is a Ducati issue and responsability for some reason we are expected to accept inferior quality products from Ducati, how long has the fuel sender been a problem it's never been properly resolved

17. Yes, I completely agree that it's Ducati who are ultimately responsible for speccing cheap parts. I'd be the last person to start defending Ducati after the problems I had with the faultistrada and their handling. The fuel sender Issue is a complete joke.

18. I understand its down to the way Ducati pack the bikes for delivery. They push the forks down to full compression when loading into the crate and it puts stress on the odd seal every now and again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I doubt that somehow. When tying down any bike for transport, whether in a crate, on a trailer or in a van, it's normal to pull the forks down until the are compressed.
    From what I've read on the forums over the years it seems that Öhlins forks are much more prone to leaky seals than other brands. I'm told that they use softer a seal material to reduce stiction, I don't know if that's the case or not.
    I have a 2010 ABS with manually adjusted Marzocchi forks which are still on the original seals at over 40,000 miles.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. If the problem is caused by the way the bikes are crated up for delivery Ducati should find a different method to package the bikes for delivery
    Still a Ducati issue

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information