1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Fork Seals.

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Birdie, Nov 3, 2019.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  1. Its unlikely you will need the bushes and the dust seals. To be sure strip your forks and then order the parts. The only seals I would use are OEM or K Tech, when I have used any others they seem to fail early.

TB

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sorry to disagree TB, but when you’re in that deep, you may as well replace the bushes and iirc the Pyramid Parts seals come complete without bushes.

3. Thanks Paul, I can make the spring compressor, hopefully I can borrow the driver from a mate.
    Think I will dismantle first and assess the wear, I was intending to replace bushes and seals while they were apart as I don't want to be doing it again very soon.
    Steve

4. I did mine Steve and it’s all fairly straightforward; I’d never done it before either. Love him or loath him I found this video very helpful

I also found easier to get SWMBO, or anyone, help me reassemble them as compressing the spring and doing up the various bits is a 3-4 handed job, even with the tool.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Whipped the forks out this afternoon, made a simple spring compressor, then looked at ways of single handed disassembly, easyest way was to hold the spring compressor in the vice fastened to the fork tube and lift the bottom of the fork, I tried two methods to lift, first was with a jack but the easyest was a short length of wood as a leaver pivoted on the bottle jack, this made it very easy to compress the spring and still have two hands to undo the top nut.
    IMG_20191104_155942.jpg IMG_20191104_155954.jpg IMG_20191104_160008.jpg IMG_20191104_161055.jpg
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. It looks like you’ve removed the bottom of the forks as well, ie the bit the stanchion is fixed in and to which the brake callipers bolt; have you? If so how? TIA

7. No I Havnt Paul, just the way they were when i took the picture, the calliper mountings must be to the rear out of sight.
    Steve
    Just looked again and they can be seen in the last picture.

8. I’ve just never seen black ones and then the heads on the pinch bolts are unusual as well, that combined with viewing the pic on a phone is my excuse:blush:

9. Both forks now stripped down, really easy with the leverage method, no need to slide the split washer in to hold the spring tension, just hold the pressure with one foot and you have both hands free to remove the top cap, no sign of wear in the bushes whatsoever so I am inclined to just fit the seals.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. @Birdie Nice work Steve:upyeah: but have you told the wife that she can remove her foot from the plank now.;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. No one's noticed I managed to get the bin's in the pictures.
    Steve

12. I should give you a face palm really as that was funny post #15.:punch::thinkingface:

#17 XH558, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I did and you've a couple of shagged out tyres sitting there as well.

14. Face palm is one of my favorates.
    The face palm was for me leaving the wife in the shed with her foot on the lever, yes the tires are knackered, just saving the rims really.

Now awaiting seals and oil, ordered a seal driver from China.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  15. Out of interest what oil weight are you using.

TB

Do Not Sell My Personal Information