1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Forking Hell

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RickyX, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Took the forks out of the 749R I bought last summer to check and grease the steering head...fuck me, what a disgusting mess!
    The bike is overall gleaming with a shed load of history and lots of nice bits and bobs on it but bloody hell, I doubt these have EVER been stripped and re-greased!
    I am shocked...never seen such shitty bearings on any bikes I’ve owned.

I will get some new bearings and just hope the races clean up and aren’t pitted.

73B7B109-4816-4316-862B-6187716133F0.jpeg 12967072-7F63-42D6-9E16-271ECC6CA117.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. Could you feel it/anything?

3. Bloody hell.. what made you remove them?
    Did you feel any backward/ forward movement ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  4. They felt fine when riding.
    I took them out as that’s what I always do in the winter with a newly purchased bike. Never seen anything like these though!

5. Races should come with new bearings anyway

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ducati dealer servicing ......not quite like it used to be;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pretty dry, probably originals?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Yow - not good. Good job you checked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Wow what a mess, just shows even viewing a bike close up does not reveal everything about its condition, servicing etc, makes buying a bike by looking at pictures, talking at length to the owner building trust, hearing the full history of the bike from new then taking to sell parting with no money until it’s sold, not such a risk, just saying...hope you can sort that out cheap enough and no pitting.

10. getting that bottom one off is a bitch!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Never done it but looks like a bastard to get off. Let’s hope it will clean up and new bearings will sort it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. go gentle with those levers....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. @I’m closing in Carl, that could almost be construed as gloating. Buying vehicles can be risky, no matter how one approaches it. Luckily it’s a simple fix I can do myself and hasn’t been evident on the other 5 Ducati’s I have bought second hand.

14. Leave off, it’s banter, my 1198 might blow up I might topple over and it crushes me, if we was leant on a bar having a beer we would be hopefully be taking the mick out of whatever laughing at someone’s misfortune because that’s what we do in real life, that’s the trouble with tinternet we can’t see each other facial expression is everything, you can say the most ridiculous thing and get away with it if you laugh at the end of it, you can write a post sniggering but nobody sees you sniggering ....no way do I wish any bad on you or anybody, we are all on here for one reason, we have one thing in common from the start we can’t forget that, I personally would help anybody on this forum without exception if I can, but I would also try to get over some humour, light hearted messing, dry humour but it’s hard to convey on an iPad, if I was local I’d be offering to help you do your forks but it would probably end up in the scrap bin after 10 minutes with me and a chisel and sledgehammer

• Like Like x 2
  15. If your good with a Dremel you could cut a slot/v cut in it, i have done it many times like this with my 350 lc's etc, worth a look at first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Cool...the ol t’internet misunderstanding again - soz! You sound like my kinda guy...are you single??

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Haaaa I’m not now.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Deffo internet misunderstanding it’s horrible, I’m a face to face type have a banter and beer ....I try for humour but can get it wrong and I apologise for those times :upyeah:

19. Just out of curiosity Ricky are those steering stop plates original?

20. Std 999 on left 749R on right...its because you can alter the trail on 749R yolks
    Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 21.01.29.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information