1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Forks Groaning?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by riskypicker, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Had my new to me 2020 70 plate Multi 1260S delivered today.

Been out this evening for a blast and when putting it back in the garage I noticed what I can only describe as a groan. I think it’s the forks as when popping it on the side stand it’s like they give one last breath as they extend slightly.

A new one one me, but anyone else had it?
    Managed to get a video of it on my phone but seems I can’t upload videos to the site.

2. You sure it's not from the petrol cap? i get a groan from the petrol cap breather on both my hyper and monster when I park.... Especially in warm weather.

I only ear it in the garage where it's quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. :) my 1260 did the same, not sure if it was the forks or the engine cylinders just bleeding pressure after switch off, never affected anything.

4. Deffo coming from the front end only with gentle movement.

5. It’s the brake discs. Mine used to do it, then went away when I replaced the discs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Agree it’s the brake pads and discs rubbing. You can remove the callipers, pop the pads out Ames apply copperslip grease to the backs and touch points. That will cure it (for about 3 weeks and then it will probably just come back)

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’m hoping it’s not in need of discs yet. After a whopping 780 miles.

8. I waited 2 weeks for it to go through the dealers workshop, guess they didn’t look at that.
    Or the oil level which can’t be seen at all in the sight glass.

9. Just lifted the front wheel. Deffo the brakes as suggested.

Wheels are coming out over the weekend for ceramic coating so I’ll try the cheap copper slip idea first.

10. Make sure everything is really clean and apply copperslip to the rear of the pads and any points where they touch the callipers. It will work for a while but will probably come back. It sounds bad but doesn’t actually do any harm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Will do. Just a pain having waited for the bike to go through a workshop, now I’m greasing the brakes.

12. Presumably it's only about 100mls on from its first-service oil change. Hmmm, did you challenge the seller about the lack of oil?

13. Brake rub was something that concerned me, spoke to dealer and he said "they all do that sir". Thinking that was a brush-off answer enquired here and it was confirmed. Learnt to ignore it, it's only when wheeling the bike around. Recently changed brake pads fitting Brembo SA and, for the time being, it's not happening.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Had a similar issue some years back ..... it really had me baffled .

It turned out to be a few stiff bobbins on the disc that were stopping it from " sitting pretty " .
    A touch of WD and some massaging of the disc ( well , gentle wrestling to be honest )
    and then a really thorough wash down ..... sorted !

.... can't be doing with grunting and groaning noises

: unamused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. I'm not so sure about the pads / discs making the noise but at least you can eliminate that possibility. With my 1260 I would put it in the garage and on its centre stand with the engine running so it was stationary. The groan came after the engine was switched of, like a pressure release moaning sound. It always did it and I have no idea what it was - ABS bleeding pressure, cylinder breathers - don't know but it never caused a problem.
    Maybe it was a sigh of relief after coming back from a fast ride :)

16. Maybe brake cleaner rather than WD40!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. I called them today. The owners manual is wrong and I should wait more than 15-20 mins after riding before checking the oil.
    When it was stone cold this lunchtime it totally fills the sight glass.
    Going to risk warming it up again and reading.
    Don’t have this bother with my Monster.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Same problem here, its the discs (.. they all do that sir...)
    Dealer cleaned and copper slip them, reduced the noise a lot but its slowly creeping back.

I understand either new pads (from another make) or new discs will cure it. I've only got 3K on my bike so will have along time to wait !

• Like Like x 1
  19. All three models I've owned have done the very same, but I've simply put the rather annoying drone when wheeling the bike after riding, to the back of my mind.
    Irritating I agree, however, for me anyway, it doesn't affect riding in any way. Probably because I can push it faster than I ride the bike :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Quick update. Copper slip on the pads and all of a sudden the super sintered pads that groan on all Multistradas, no longer make a noise when moving in the garage. Bloody odd if you ask me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information