1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forks

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by IanB, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Any advise on improving the performance of the front end of a carby 900ss? Are new internals the way to go (if so recommendations please) or perhaps a replacement set of forks from another bike?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've got Maxton cartridges in my 900SS forks, much improved. Some go down the route of changing the forks for different ones, but the standard ones are pretty good I've been reliably told

• Like Like x 1
  3. To spend time, effort or money in the right direction, you might want to clearly define for yourself what improving means to you, and what part of the front end’s performance you find lacking.
    A set of standard 900ss adjustable Showas in good condition and correctly set up are very decent forks, and well matched to the character and capabilities of the bike. They can certainly be improved, but you have to be clear what that really means for you.

• Like Like x 4

4. It’s a good point John & well made.
    For info I’m putting together what for me should be an excellent road & once a year track day bike.

The bike already has has 39FCRs on a standard bore engine & an Ohlins rear shock. I’m going to bite the bullet & fit some lightweight wheels, lightweight race bodywork & a lighter battery. I don’t know anything about forks hence my question & I’m open to advice on what to do. If a Maxton or similar kit will provide a more controlled & improved ride then so be it. If there is an obvious straight swap that I don’t know about then I’m all ears.

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  5. I have my Maxton forks and shock set up for fast road, they are excellent and it my best handling bike. Wheels make a huge difference too

• Like Like x 1
  6. Two biggest impacts on making my 900SS handle better was a new front end (better forks and lighter wheel) and surprisingly, getting rid of the massively heavy standard silencers. First time out on a track day after I changed the end cans I almost crashed the bike turned in so much faster!!

There are lots of saving weight threads on here for inspiration, but most important thing is you have fun making the changes and get to feel the difference afterwards :)

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had Maxton cartridges fitted in my 750SS forks recently, SD25 ones & they've made a huge difference.
    Unlike the 900SS, the 750's forks are non-adjustable so if you change your internals to another make you might not feel the same level of difference than I've felt, but a few things to bear in mind.

Cost, Maxton internals are not cheap & it depends on how you value your SS. Having said that I suspect other suspension companies would be charging similar amounts. I viewed it that the standard suspension on my bike was very hard, a common trait I've found with Italian suspension. The cost in my opinion was well worth it. You get tailored suspension set up for you & your bike & that is as good as it can get. After owning my bike from new in 1994, I could put up with the harsh ride no longer !
    I could most likely never recoup the cost by selling my bike, but I never intend to sell it so that is not a consideration for me. For someone who may sell the bike at a later date they'd either have to take the cost on the chin or return the forks to standard & sell the custom internals separately.

Just need to sort the rear out now !!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information