1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Power Usage

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Updated my MacBook to latest iOS, and it now comes up with this...never seen that on any webpage before :astonished:
    Screenshot 2019-04-08 at 21.25.21.png

2. Guess that malware that keeps popping up is using your Mac as distributed compute for a nation state attack somewhere:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Only when not logged in, as the ads are beyond acceptable in how they constantly revolve like videos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Not unique to this platform, most FB click-bait type buzz feed and news feed ones are the same

5. And people wonder why ad blockers are used!

6. I subscribed to the forum off the back of saving a load of money at Halfords with the membership card. I think the ads are horrific though and put new members who are not necessarily power users off using the forum. Until the Halfords shop I just stopped using the forum for many months because I couldn't be bothered with the Ads.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. If I use a browser without AdBlock, the ads really are horrific! You lose 2/3 of the screen to the ads on the left and right sides with only 1/3 of content in the middle, which has it's own strip of adverts as well!

Most of the ads seem to be video or some kind of animation that really kills the computer as well, making the experience terrible.

If I was a first time user without much technical knowledge, it would really put me off.

8. I subscribed to remove the ads, worked okay for me.

9. Is this the purpose of the friggin ads then noobie ?

10. The purpose of the ads is to help pay for the hosting and running of the site. But you know that already. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The purpose of the forum is for it's members but as with so much in life, very little is for free

As El said, ads help with updates, extras, hosting fees, tech support, domain fee's etc etc, Go daddy isn't named sugar daddy, people gotta be paid, although there is a site called sugardaddy.com. Don't look unless you are a hussy and easily bought.

Subscription also helps but the best deal is the premium membership which gives you not only subscription benefits but a Halfords discount card where those who have used them, can make the entire money back on their first purchase.

#12 noobie, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information