1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame / Engine Number Verification

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by tricolore, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Can you verify the official model from the engine and or frame number. In other words how do you know if an SP5 is not an 888 Strada with a single seat, high cans etc, I know they'll be other tell tale signs but won't the frame number verify ?

Is an SP something like ZDM888W and Strada ZDM888S ?

2. I checked with Ducati UK when I bought my SP3.

3. FI have just gone through this process with Ducati in Italy re an SP5.
    If you contact them via Ducati .com you can fill in an information request form online.
    I got a swift response from Fabiana by telephone from Bologna.She requested pictures of frame and engine numbers plus additional pics of bike .Just got back to me today confirming genuine SP5 which I was content with prior to but thought checking out would be good for history of the bike .
    The email address is [email protected]
    All the best

4. I'll say it again. The response from Ducati is really great in this respect. You supply the details, and they telephone very quickly with a response.

5. Thanks guys. Trouble is I'm looking to buy an SP4 or 5 so need to check the info while it's up for sale, before I buy one. Just missed an SP4 as I was trying to check, and in the meantime it sold. Just thought with the frame and engine numbers you could verify yourself.

6. Don't know if all the same but mine is a ZDM888S at the start.
    If you get the frame number from prospective seller and fire it off you will get a really swift response that hopefully shouldn't hamper you too much in the purchase process .Hope you find a bike

7. @AndrewS & @nodrog Out of interest and without giving too much away, is your engine number something like ZDM888W, as opposed to something like ZDM888S?

8. The latter for me

• Like Like x 1
  9. According to the Registration Document the chassis/VIN number starts ZDM8885, but I have a recollection that it should actually be an "S" rather than a "5". The engine number in the document is just a string of numbers. I'll have a look on the bike when I'm in the garage.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The one I looked at the other day was ZDM888W for the engine and ZDM888S for the frame..

The biggest problem which I've experienced on many older Ducati's is on the V5 they only quote the last four numbers of the VIN or engine number, when you do an HPI report it invariably shows stolen, outstanding finance, cat D etc because it's the same four numbers from a car, tractor, another motorcycle etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. That looks nice,lot of money though.
    I've basically just provided the same set of photos for Ducati Italy and the frame number starts as mine does.In my very humble opinion I think that's the real thing

12. Yeah, I want one but that's stupid money imo.

I've just missed two SP4's that both sold for £13K, they were nice too ☹️

13. They are both lovely don't think you can go wrong which ever one you end up with.Mine has been through a recommissioning process with Neil at Cornerspeed for some time just got it back.Started it up at the weekend and the noise can only be described as glorious.Keep us updated as to your search

14. A brief update...

I took the fairings off today to take some photos of the frame and engine numbers for Fabiana (who, as others have said, is extremely helpful). The frame number does in fact start ZDMS888, and the engine number starts ZDM888W. Not sure how easy it is to get a V5C corrected, or even if it's worth the inevitable (I suspect) hassle?

15. Easy enough to correct V5, but it'll show up as a marker on an HPI check.

16. Would showing up on an HPI check (as a correction) be a bad thing?

17. Would love an SPS

18. Thanks Steve .There weren't any about when I got the SP 5 but agree that that is the most iconic of them all for me.Think it would be a pretty safe place for money also

19. It depends. I bought a bike from a dodgy character who hadn't the V5 at the time (I'd driven many hours to get it, in my defence) and found the engine number was different. I filled out the relevant part of the V5 and it was updated ok, but if you did an HPI check (other services are available), the change showed up as a warning-same as a change of colour.
    As I said, it depends on whether the alteration is hiding something. Like an incomplete service history, it may put people off.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information