1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Frame Powdercoating

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Xfin999, Aug 2, 2018.

1. I'm doing a big overhaul of my bike at the moment and trying to get all the little bits done that are bugging me.

The rear section of my 03 999's frame is the standard grey and is all scratch up. I have a friend that has offered to get do some free powder coating (he has a steel manufacturing company) as the headlight housing looks all flakey and shabby so i'm also getting that done regardless.

Anyway my query is on the colour for the powder coating. So do I try and get them to match the existing frame colour with the possibility of it looking a little odd because the main body of the frame is old and the rear section will be freshly powder coated. Or do i go for a metallic black which may look to some people like i've replaced the rear frame section with one from a new 2005 model. :thinkingface:

2. I quite like the contrast of the red and black rear section on my 2006 and I am sure contrasting your front section original paint with a black rear end would look good. I guess it comes down to whether you want to retain the standard appearance (for future sale purposes or otherwise), or whether you want to try something different which may well look really good. BTW I touched up some of the flakey silver paint around my headlights with Hammerite smooth silver and it came out really well.

3. Yeah I like the contrast too and I'm not too bothered about keeping it true to the original to a certain degree.

I guess I just wanted to get the general feeling. I would do the whole frame black but stripping the whole bike back to the main frame is more work than I'm willing to commit to :)

4. The black frame throughout looks good I agree but would be fair amount of work. Good luck with the project which ever way you go.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 09.37.50.png

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information