1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Re-finish So It's Got To Come Off

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Eeza, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Hello everyone, I'm a noob to Ducati bikes so be gentle with me.

I bought my 1098 SFS in August and just cleaned it up to be honest, it needs a belt change and so not wanting to start the thing up and risk a nightmare it's sat in my garage since then.

I bought this from my late brother in law Steve who purchased it new from Ducati Manchester.

He lived in Blackpool with his wife and my best guess is he took the bike out for one last ride a few years ago and fully intended to wash it but never got the chance and so a few years later the bike frame has suffered and needs to be refinshied.

I dont want to get into a Paint over Powder debate as I know what I am going to do.

I guess my question is has anyone done this before ? Looking at the manual this requires a total strip of everything but looking at the bike I may be able to get this done without taking everything apart.

Will i need any special tools for the frame removal beyond the obvious Stem tool and socket for the wheels etc....

There's no or very little fuel in the tank so it still looks great and the bike has done only 1200 yes 1200 miles.........

I know what this bike meant to Steve and so this journey is going to be one I will enjoy.

I will document and take pictures of everything I can and I hope you guys will enjoy the journey

I'm gathering my bits together and will make a start next week

Here she is in the Flesh

IMAG0582.jpg

Wish me luck

#1 Eeza, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Nice that you are undertaking this following the loss of your brother in law.
    I think you will probably realise a full strip is the best way - but dependent on condition and paint match it may be possible with a lot of masking if a lot of the parts are removed - could be quicker to just strip it though. Also the colour could be critical for a match, especially if it is an early gold frame?

I guess you are going paint from what you say...

Detailed pictures would help people to form an opinion.

Welcome to the forum :):upyeah:

3. I will get some close up's of the frame and to be honest its well past remedial action......

Beyond the frame it has faired very well with only a few minor bits needing some work... For whatever reason the brake and clutch flud caps are almost scrap to be honest

4. The caps always fur up if left in a dampish area - even dry too so nothing unusual there! They are great bikes and well worth the time and effort!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nice bike, I look forward to the pics of the refurb. :) :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Welcome Dave and introduce yourself properly in the newbies section.

7. Just unbolt big lumps from it..rather than stripping all parts

Complete swinger assy with wheel
    Front forks left in yokes with front wheel on
    Support the engine then lift frame off

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Id be inclined to drop Rob Lewis the detailer on here what his thoughts as in are there any products to bring the paint back to life ... he has helped many folk on here inc myself ...

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Sadly, It’s well beyond any corrective action... I have corrosion due to the salt laden sea air that’s really done for the finish on the frame. I had the clutch cover refinished locally and it’s come up nice.

That's given me the push to get started with the job

Cover.jpg

#9 Eeza, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Welcome ,and best of luck to you

11. Ok here are a few pictures of the frame.
    Initially I thought I may get away with dexox gel and then touch in the marks but it's to far gone for that.

Not to mention the deox didn't touch it.

IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0749.jpg

IMAG0751.jpg

There's some light oxidation on the alloy bits so any suggestions on how to refinish the bars and the radiator covers would be good

IMAG0754.jpg

12. Lucky for me the Termi cans are unmarked

IMAG0752.jpg

13. Your reservoir caps are fine - blast and re paint... as FE says, strip more off then decide if you can get everywhere on the frame without a full strip. It might take more man hours to get all the rust out though than a full strip and re paint. Take plenty of pictures of the harness and stuff if removing.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. I have started the process of this strip down and I'm a little stuck......

I have got the rear and side plastics off fairly easy and now have a couple of boxes of expensive plastic

IMAG0767.jpg

The bike is looking a tad second hand

IMAG0768.jpg

The problem I am having is taking off the fuel lines.

I am guessing you guys will be able to help and I don't want to go in ham fisted and cause a lot of grief for myself so how do these fuel line snap off.

I have looked on youtube but nothing jumps out at me....

IMAG0772.jpg

I hope to get the tank and the other bits of body work off and get it on the lift.

IMAG0773.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. This is my other Italian Bike.... I just love Aprilia's :heart:

IMAG0775.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. press the ridgid parts in and pull.

17. Yep, push the collar inwards and pull down (I think it's where the 3 lines are in the pic, could be the opposite side though, you'll find out when you do it).

Careful not to nip the 'O' rings when refitting it, you can't buy them seperately for these fittings iirc. :thinkingface:

#17 Robarano, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
  18. as said, you need to squeeze each side of the connector together toward the centre of the connector (where the vertical lines are moulded into plastic shown clearly in your undertank picture) with thumb and fore finger, in a very similar way used to remove some anti-tamper bottle lids. They can be stubborn if not removed for some time and you can check how stiff they are by carefully swivelling the whole black plastic connector first. If it's reluctant to even be swivelled then ideally you can work some rubber grease into the joint which will make things much easier. As you said, there doesn't seem to be much available in video form, and even in the one I found he doesn't make much reference to the removal method (about 4 mins onward) - I usually carefully swivel a little while squeezing together and pulling down/away from tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=rhyBS-dxRmU

#18 Chris, Oct 9, 2018
  19. Gents thanks for this I will give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on. The picture when zoomed does give a far better view than my eyes do in real time

#19 Eeza, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  20. OK thank you one and all for the replies, Its actually easy once you know how so just in case somebody in the future looks for this its simple.

You need to squeeze the plastic retainer in the same way you would take the lid off a bottle of bleach. Squeeze in the areas where the vertical lines in the picture are present.

You can see how the holder deflects when you give it a wee squeeze.

IMAG0780.jpg IMAG0779.jpg

As I say... Easy when you know how

IMAG0778.jpg

Looking at the front of the Frame, the front bezel looks like it's going to be fun.

Just a quick question on the loom. It's attached to the frame with wiring fasteners that look like they clip onto posts.....

Any ideas how they can be removed without destroying them or is it just a single use. In the above picture you can get a good idea of the surface corrosion

#20 Eeza, Oct 10, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information