1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaked Out By A Death Story

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Phill748, May 28, 2020.

1. I was watching First Dates the other night of all programs, and a lady on their described how her husband was killed on his bike. Now, I don't for a second think it doesn't go on, and I know the risks. What got to me was that my girlfriend was quite affected and gripped me really tight while this woman said it.

My GF has a 3yr old which I've taken on, and all of a sudden I realised there was other stuff at play around riding the bike. It got under my skin a little bit and wondered if anyone else has these moments and how you deal with it?

I'm quite an analytical person, I've been riding circa 5-6k miles a year for the last 20 years in July and I've been fortunate to have only had 3-4 close moments, but as I get older and now having a little person living under my roof, it's definitely something that affected me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. I have been through a similar thought process years ago, when my children were young.
    So pleased I did not give up motorcycles altogether, so many other ways to die. Falling off ladders (I spent a lot of time working from them..), coronavirus etc.
    Take stock, dont take unnecessary risks, live your life, keep biking.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Having kids, your own or others that you adopt, does that to your head. Mine are now almost adults, I've divorced from their mum. I used to go out on rides and continental tours thinking I might not come back from this, less so now as my responsibilities are diminished. Those thoughts didn't stop me going and I had the marginally begrudged blessing from my then wife. Some riders give up biking for the duration of child rearing, I grimly hung on to the bike and was glad I did.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Have you done as much as you can to make yourself safe when riding? e.g. extra advanced training. It can make a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. The only thing I gave up was racing. My two girls came to see me in ICU after my last big off and made me promise not to race again and seeing how worried they were I agreed.

My eldest daughters boyfriend only has a bike for transport (GSXR 1000) and now the boot is on the other foot as I worry about her going on the back.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Speed can be a major factor, and whilst our bikes are generally mind-blowingly fast (well, not my 350 Elsie obviously) keeping the throttle under control will reduce the risk of the Reaper considerably.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Something like this you can have a heap of fun just head for the country with a flask and sandwiches it’s a different kind of fun

29B22FCB-3673-4A1A-B46B-6C3425FA3EF5.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  8. What's her name Carl?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. I gave up entirely for 9 years while the kids were young & greatly regret it as all my old biking contacts disappeared too. I don’t ride like I used to nowadays because I’m aware of the views of others that matter to me, but giving it up again would be a mistake that I don’t want to make again. Don’t make any quick decisions would be my advice!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I bought my ST4 new in 2002, with a girlfriend and her 4 year old child, she is now my wife and we also have a 15 year old.

My ST4 was half-heartedly put up for sale at around 1800 miles in 2004.... It's now got ~ 12,000 miles on it with many long breaks from use. It can do your head in but it's worth keeping the bike for reduced service :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Totally agree with this.

My 2 "road to Damascus" moments came in quick succession in around 2006 and were firstly, on the M4 to Reading when I was filtering too fast between two lorries in moving traffic, my bar end clipped the side of one of them which started a mini-tank slapper and I almost lost control. My leg even brushed the wheel of one of the lorries, meaning I was very close to being dragged under it. The second time was not long after that when me and a group of mates were touring in France and while I undertaking one of them (he was in the middle and I was in the outside lane) he suddenly moved across without looking and put me into the 2ft foot wide strip of dirt between the edge of the road and the Armco at very high speed.

Those incidents really got me thinking that on both occasions I was extremely close to having a fatal accident, and about how it would have affected my kids, so I became a lot less reckless afterwards.

One of those kids is now 17 and is on two wheels, and though while it is great to have a common interest, I must confess that part of me wishes he wasn't into bikes.

#11 Zhed46, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I took 20 years out from biking due to agreement with my wife and having 2 daughters (now 19 and 18 years old). My wife knew me when I was a biker and still married me, but having the girls and with me as the only breadwinner, this was the trigger to stop. My wife has become much more risk averse, compared to how she used to be, which I assume is down to the continual risk assessments she has done bringing up 2 girls. My life and critical injury insurance is significant if something happened to me, but she claims she would rather have me around in one piece, than in a wheelchair, or no longer around.

I am so much more risk aware now than I was back then, but that still doesn't make my wife feel any happier if I suggest that a nice ride out is in order. I trust myself, but the idiots out there are plentiful!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Is it just me, or does everyone else find that when they tell "civilians" that they ride a motorbike, the person then insists on telling a tale about their uncle/friend/bloke next door who is in wheelchair after a terrible bike accident?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Is it just me or when bikers talk about collisions they insist it’s someone else’s fault...

15. Suns my experience up too although I gave up for only about 7 I lost touch with all my old mates. And by time I got back into it, my new mates has all ‘been there, done that’. Obvs before the days of the internet

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. i love the dirt man.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Majesty

:joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. how many horror stories do you want.........

In a professional capacity, walking towards a lady cutting her grass at home thinking to my self, your world is about to change drastically and you will never be the same again after i tell you your husband who you think is out on his motorbike...is dead.

Knocking the door at a house where its answered by two young kids... as mummy is packing for their holiday flight the next day. Dad had gone out on his new GSXR just for a last quick ride before his holiday.

Telling a newly wed of 2 weeks that her husband is dead having collided with a HGV... and there was not really a realistic chance of a visual id.

just goes on......

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Christ, that's grim. It definitely puts everyone else's "Bad day at work" stories into perspective.

#19 Zhed46, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
  20. I certainly calmed down when my first daughter was born in 2002 but when I started to go back to the TT in 07 I found myself getting silly again.
    Bikes like the V4 Tuono and Panigale etc just beg to be thrashed, after a couple of near misses regarding crashing and the police I sold my Panigale before something bad happened.
    I now ride something totally different and still enjoy myself.
    Do I miss sports bikes?
    Too right I do.......

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information