1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeze Rac Breakdown Price

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Expat Jack, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Just had to renew my breakdown cover. I was with Greenflag on a Personal cover for me and the missus but they don't cover vehicles over 16 years old, so have swapped to the RAC.

Personal cover for two of us At Home, Roadside Assistance and Recovery £180. No age stipulation on vehicles. Motorbikes must be >49cc. Policy auto renews to get this price.

I detest auto renewal so called them. To get the £180 you have to auto renew BUT they offered to "price fix" for a further year at £180. Just remember to cancel the price fix in one year and a days time.

My price for the same cover at Greenflag (with the 16 year clause) was £124 last year and £139 for the coming year.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Any Euro cover in that?

3. No, you can add Euro cover or if, like me, you don't go driving/riding in Europe from one year to the next, take it out on a specific vehicle at the time. Tends to be cheaper that way rather than blanket cover.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I've found (and I have a lot of experience with this!) that the RAC and AA are far superior to the others (who pride themselves on being cheaper than the big two).

Trouble is that for Motorbikes I have found them all sh1t! Last time that I used the RAC was a rear wheel puncture on a Sunday night. They sent a low-loader (for a f***king motorbike!) but it would of been an easy plug fix just to get me home if a) they knew how to do it (but I did, anyway) and b) they carried the kit.

After that, I started carrying the plug repair kit. Never used it but went to a track day at that circuit just outside Dublin (Mondello Park?). A mate got a puncture and we repaired it with one of my plugs! You are not supposed to, but he did a track day and rode it back to England with the plug still in!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I carry a plug kit too. :upyeah:

6. We use GEM Motoring Assist. They're generally cheaper than the big two, and win a fair few accolades. Just checked our policy and we paid £130 to cover two of us for Roadside Assistance, Nationwide Recovery, Home Assistance & Onward Travel, irrespective of what we're driving/riding.

Had to call on them several times when I had the Multi. Not so much since then...

7. I have RAC personnel cover (£68) but not with Home start, luckily only had to use it once for a snapped clutch link on a Fireblade..........Had to argue to get a pick up straight away as they wanted to send a van out to acess it would not be roadside repairable, low loader arrived and after a 2 hr wait got home
    For Euro trips always go for the top package as they recover back to the Uk.
    Always ring up and barter, always saves at least £10 , like all insurance it's a gamble

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I switched to GEM. Never used them and know I've cancelled. Just been to Optician and told that I can't drive and need to see an Optometrist :-(

• Crap Crap x 3
  9. Crap news Perry, hope the Optometrist can help

10. It isn't very good. The Optician thought that I may need an op - on my eyes!!!!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. My cousin is one of those eye surgeon dudes, from his knowledge it's not too bad a deal for most things - doesn't sound like a joyous thought though..... Good luck with the prognosis :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeah, I just have to do what I'm told :-( as I can't change anything! If it was just a case of wearing glasses then no problem, I'd wear them! But this seems to be a bit more involved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shite news. Is that as a result of your accident? or something else?

14. The thought of operations on my eyes makes me shudder, but I suppose its all the same to the surgeons and no doubt they will do their very best for you. Let us know when you have an update. Best of luck mate.

15. I’ve seen you drive mate: that’s no change :p :punch::sob::joy::joy::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I'm not waiting for some "mi
    Who said that?

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information