1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Front Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Android853sp, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Less than 24 hours into ownership and commenting ‘the front brake feels spongy’, I bled the front brake this morning. My riding experience pre dates the introduction of hydraulic brakes on motorcycles so I have experience of some of the earliest examples and I have to say, I’m truly disappointed at the bargain basement quality and function of the Icon standard master cylinder. Is there something better out there ? Andy

2. You got the Speciale??

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. do the calculations but id say an rcs of some sort....id hazard a 15. Thats what ive got on my supermoto...most of the standard oem stuff is rubbish on the cheaper end of the scale...but...what do you expect...not a dig at you...just...the way it is...eg...i cant for the life of me understand why fast bikes keep banging on about the front brake on the gsxr....fuckinf change the calipers and master cylinder....job done...

4. The standard pads are about OK but a set of EBC HH pads improves initial bite and feel. TBH nothing wrong with the single disc set up once the pads are changed and for under £40 you won’t regret it, even if subsequently you decide to upgrade the MC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. On a bike costing £13k+ I would expect the brakes to be up to the job IMO. Having to spend £500 on callipers and a further £200+ is appalling. Suzuki have changed the brake set up on the new model BTW.

6. Bump... :)

7. The "other" thread is more popular. :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Only due to us being on it :thinkingface:

9. Tbh the way it's going I wouldn't expect it....20k and more I agree but that " bargain bar " is moving...

10. When my wages start increasing proportionately I'll believe it! ;)

11. My front brake isn’t spongey at all, Haven’t heard of other Scrambler owners complaining of spongey front brakes very often?, so I can only assume there is a fault with yours, air in the system or any number of other possibilities, if the bike is new take it to the dealer and have them check it out, as Fire3500 says the standard pads aren’t great, rather low on the metallic particle count I’m afraid, I fitted EBC HH last week, EBay £32, great improvement, same goes for the rear, I don’t think there is a design issue with the master cylinder so probably best you check out the other options before spending on a replacement, also remember it will never brake as well as a twin disc if that’s what you’re used to.

12. No issues with my Icon brake from new.

Now I've moved onto the Cafe Racer, yes, the radial master cylinder has more feel, but again, no issues standing it on its nose!

Maybe you have a bad one or the pads haven't settled in if its new.

Got a GSXR1000 K8 project and the brakes are shocking, really poor!

Andy

13. And therein lies the problem....ive not had a payrise in 8 years thats been above inflation...and a couple of those years i never got one...uptil this month ive managed to supplement my wages with overtime but thats just been cut...

14. I rode an icon in the Dolomites last year and had zero brake concerns - sounds like somethings faulty

Do Not Sell My Personal Information