1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Brake Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Pylwagl, May 2, 2017.

1. my '93 900ss is fitted with a brembo front brake master cylinder (I think PS15 - rectangular, integral reservoir) which is in need of new seals. Rebuild kits are not available from brembo or ducati. can they be got from anywhere else - eg via KTM? I'd like to fix the seals rather than shell out £170 on a new unit.
    if I have to replace the unit, what are compatible items? how modern do brembo brakes have to be for these spares to be available? or is there a complete ban on m/cyl overhaul kit sales from brembo?
    TIA
    Stu

2. Stu, I also have a 1993 'coffin' style reservoir. I searched and searched but could not find a rebuild kit, so I bought a new one from Ducati. From memory it was about 120 quid approx. I got a rebuild for my clutch and you can get for the rear master but not for these front ones. They dont do a 15mm rebuild. You could chance a secondhand one or get a later round style. Try Stein Dinse in Germany as they may do them cheaper, or even AMSKTM in the UK.
    Ian

3. Go talk to your nearest KTM dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. When mine failed I replaced the m/cs with used ones from a later injected SS which seemed an improvement in operation.

There is no 'complete ban' on rebuild kits for m/cs but they only offer them for the race versions of the m/cs. iirc there are one or two companies in the States offering various rebuild kits but IDR whether they do them for the old coffin style ones.

5. Im pretty sure that you cannot get them, this has come up elsewhere before as its one of the few from that era that you cant rebuild with genuine Brembo kits.

6. I got a Brembo clutch master cylinder rebuild kit last year for my 93 SS from Moto Rapido, via ebay, and it fitted fine. Pretty sure it would be the same for the brake?

I'll try and dig out the part number tonight, but you could just call them and ask. From memory it was about £20 or so.

7. There was some kind of court case in the States several years ago that led to Brembo requiring manufacturers to sign up to disclaimers in order to be supplied with brake parts.
    Ducati allegedly declined but KTM signed up. Therefore you can't get bits from Ducati but you can from KTM.
    However, KTM have to have used that part on one of their bikes.
    I managed to get some Brembo parts from KTM dealer Trevor Pope. They have an online ordering service with parts diagrams. Good luck!

8. As mentioned, try Ktm as they have the best supply, I looked into this a few years back and there were several Ktm models such as the Duke, that about mid 1990's were using the same coffin style master. Im sure its a 15mm which you cannot get kits for. The coffin style clutch master is 13mm if I recall. If not it'll be 11mm. If you can get a kit, awesome, however I spent a good deal of time looking for one before I settled on a new master. I did call AMS Ktm and they told me exactly what Im telling you. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ok, found the Brembo clutch master cylinder rebuild kit from Moto Rapido, check to see if they do the brake version, that's if it's not the same?

Look at this on eBay Brembo Clutch Master Cylinder Seal Kit, Rebuild, 851, Supersport, 000047226 | eBay

10. Its not the same

11. Have you thought about contacting, tour max or all balls.
    I'm sure one of them would be happy to fill a hole in the market.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12. Later type is stamped on it by the switch. This one is a sb22 16 I take it 16 is the bore size.
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information