1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Front Mudguard Removal

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions please as to how I may remove the front mudguard, other than hacksawing through the plastic clips? The bolts have seized in the nuts and, being plastic, the nut now just turns within the plastic and it being on the inside I can see no way of getting to it to stop the nut from turning.

If I have to cut the plastic holder does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get hold of some nicer looking parts?

TIA

IMG_9320 (1).jpg

2. On my ST cutting was the only option. Only one was shifting. I think replacements were areound 12 Quid a set

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. yes, Cut there. Theyre even cheaper on ebay. I got one for £2 posted. Mine seized too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. #4 XH558, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I had this problem on my ST. I got the bolts out by gripping the part of the clip with the captive nut with a pair of mole grips. This prevented the nut from turning and enabled me to unscrew the bolts.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. if above doesn't work (often does as nut is brass and shallow) then you can save them if you want to but a lot of work and will look a bit beaten up afterwards. I used to hacksaw through in gap where 'C' clip meets (it takes some plastic with it) and then heat up/apply pressure to remainder of seized screw/nutscrew from inside with 100 watt soldering iron until nut(plus screw remainder) pops out from melted plastic.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Full set is about 40 quid as I have just bought some as mine had faded a bit over the years. Can have my used set for a fiver posted if helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Actually, I have to take the front wheel off anyway (and the rear) to get new tyres so I'll try to get at the back then. On that point, what are peoples recommendations for the best way to support the bike with no wheels. What's the best stand to use under the engine block and how steady will she be whilst resting on such a stand? TIA.

9. You can flip the footpeg over to opposite sides and support in axle stands perhaps

10. Thanks. How faded is faded? I might very well take you up on the offer.

11. Or you needs a front stand like this

2BE1B110-23A6-4A30-A8BC-8D626BDF2FEF.jpeg

12. Same as the ones you have, maybe slightly better

13. Hmmm. Could be a bit rickety back and forth. Ideally, this would be a one man job when I do it as I work on the bike when SWMBO is out and about. Besides, if I did get her to lend a hand there's a dire risk of shouting ensuing if anything were to go wrong. :mad:

14. That looks as though it would do the job perfectly, along with my current rear axle stand. What is it?

15. You need a fork stand then like below

BD84860E-D104-4506-8EF9-F6DDC15D0423.jpeg

16. Looking at your bikes, I'm sure they are better than mine. :). Mine stood outside for 7+ years :scream:.
    I'll take yours if I may. I live in SW Ireland so if you check the postage and then PM me the cost, I can arrange payment. Thanks a mill.

17. I've a rear axle stand so I reckon with a front axle stand identical to yours, supporting the base of the forks rather than through the front spindle, I can get both wheels out at the same time and she'll be as steady as can be.

18. How I love this forum. So much help. Thanks a million guys. :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

19. Undo the brakes and front spindle nut before putting it on the stand. That way there is no rickety wobbly ness going on when you undo the fasteners.

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information