1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front/rear Wheel Socket To Keep On The Bike

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by firecat0_0, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I have been looking for a decent quality tool to remove the rear wheel nut. I have one at home in the garage but it is the size of a coffee mug and weights as much as a house brick. I am looking for a compact socket to carry on my multi whilst touring. I looked at the ct moto item nice looking item but best part of £70. Then I found SCM440 on the bay for £27. It's description is as follows

1/2 drive, ducati super bike, 1098, 1199, panigale, street fighter 1098, multi 1200 etc 55mm bihex and 30mm single hex socket. Manufactured from scm440 alloy steel this low profile socket is designed to be used with an impact gun to remove both front and rear fixings that have been over tightened or partially seized.

Does anyone have one of these and can they vouch for it? Is scm440 any good?

Cheers

IMG_8300.jpg

IMG_8301.jpg

2. Compact sockets such as this are what you want. They are still bulky and heavy, but not as much as a traditional socket and they fit better on the rear nut as well. Get a steel one (I have one from SpeedyMoto but they are hard to get now). There are tales of the alloy ones giving up on very tight nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CTMoto are alright, had a few bits from them. No complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hi both thanks for posting, are ctmoto worth the extra money compared to other steel items? They are more than twice the price they are made from Stainless and that is a big plus if stored under saddle on the bike but if I can get away with a lower cost item without resorting to aluminium for emergency use I would like to.

5. Very likely you will get what you do or don't pay for. Chances are if you need to use it you will be looking to get yourself out of trouble at the side of the road. Do you want to risk being let down by a cheaper product?

6. Very true if llower cost equates to poor performance, the steel used in the cheaper item appears to be good quality as far as my google searches have shown but I am no metallurgist - it is supposedly designed for an impact gun but what does that mean if it is machined poorly. The other item is twice the price but has at least got one person vouching for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Just make sure its not ali, they break under torque :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. It's deffo not alloy so that is a plus at least!
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  9. Laser tools are the manufacturer, well the brand supplying the item. I have got some bits and pieces from them and they are decent for the price. Got one on order so will find out shortly.

10. If this is only for side of the road emergencies, and you're concerned about the size, then where are you going to store the 3ft breaker bar?? :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. ^ true dat

• Like Like x 1
  12. or cordless impact gun

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. In a roadside emergency you might be able to find a garage or breakdown van guy who could help you ... except that he doesn't have a 55 mm socket with him. Provided you can supply your own 55 mm tool, you can get it done. And that is the point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information