1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Sprocket Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Adam Bell, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Hi,

Been doing some cleaning this morning to get in the parts that previous owners often miss.
    Wanted to take the front sprocket cover off to get more in there but couldn't get it off.
    Removed all the bolts , loosened off the shifter rod but couldn't get the cover out. Any tips please.
    Got these bits cleaned.
    Want to buy some new bolts as well to tidy up the old ones as well.
    The amount of oil that had bunged up was horrible. But got out all in the chain guide in the pic

PXL_20220424_101314120.jpg

PXL_20220424_100948601.jpg

PXL_20220424_101250128.MP.jpg

2. Do you mean that you got all the screws out and the sprocket cover wouldn't budge, or you couldn't extract it somehow? if the latter, maybe pop up another pic so we can see what/why/whatever. Oh, and what bike?

3. Hi,

Sorry , it's a 1299S
    Got all the bolts out of the cover , loosened off the shifter from the splines but couldn't take it all the way off to give me clearance to remove the cover.

4. The sprocket cover is a buggar to remove. It does take a bit of bending and twisting but does come out. Did you remove the clutch slave?

5. No didn't want to remove that bit incase I then needed to bleed it.
    I'll have another bash at it and try and squeeze it out

6. Might make things easier if you removed it. Just undo the 3 M6 bolts that hold the slave on and pull it clear. No need to bleed it that way.

7. Ok, ta. Did you take the gearshift bolt all the way out? Not sure about the 1299, but usually the bolt sits in a groove in the shaft so it stops the gearshift coming off.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information