1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Front Sprocket

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by duceri, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Hi
    Tried to replace the front sprocket to a 14 tooth and could not got the retaining nut off tried everything but still wouldn't shift.
    Anyone had the sam problem and how did you get it off if you did.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Just received mine today but not fitted yet.
    From what I've read the nut is on very tight and maybe even loktighted on.
    I couldn't find the torque rating but from other ducati stories it could be near 195mn which is tight. I assume that you have already bent the washer back and are turning lefty loosey. Other than that an air gun or scaffolding pole.
    Good luck and please report back as I could also do with the knowing how its done.

3. It is not a reverse thread, and (thankfully) there is no locktight on it. It is fitted tightly though sized at 32mm @186nm. It goes without saying, that if you don't have an airgun, you'll need to find a way of locking the rear wheel safely whilst you use a long bar on the nut. I used an air impact driver, and the nut came off easily. Once you get the nut off be prepared for a bit of "fumbling" to get the 15T sprocket off the chain. It will come off, but takes some persuasion.

4. Any tips?

5. Yes lefty even went out a bought an air wrench. Will try with a bigger bar at weekend. In 42 years of biking never had one this tight.

6. Also read this from post #49, subject says rear sprocket, but we talked about changing the front. The procedure shown is fine other than saying get the sprocket nut off before you loosen the rear wheel adjusters. As said I used an impact wrench, but a reasonable length bar, and tap that with a hammer should work too.
    2015 Multistrada DVT 42T rear sprocket installed - Page 5 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

#6 Scaraman, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. I'm considering this mod after great results on my old mille and tl1000r.

Where are you ordering your 14t from?

Also will this make the speedo read high?

Cheers :)

8. I got mine from Bike Torque racing, this one:
    Ducati 1200 MTS Multistrada 10-13 Afam 14 T Front Sprocket (-1 Tooth Size) | eBay
    Same part for the DVT.

and no effect on speedo reading, that would be based on the wheel sensors on the DVT.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I got the nut off no issue - but failed to get the chain to clear the sprocket - after about 45 minutes - I gave up.

I ordered a rear Supersprox in 42 - That was much easier to change :)

10. Hi
    Got mine from demon tweeks as it local .
    Renthal do one. A for speedo5 not affected.

11. Just finished mine.
    I used a big bar wrench and oddly I found that a 1 1/4 socket was a perfect fit (the 32mm had a tiny bit of play)
    Came of OK with bike in gear and daughter holding the back break.
    Removed one of the bolts from the gear foot leaver an let it dangle
    Undid the rear pinch bolts and slackened of the chain (clockwise for undo).
    Undid and removed the clutch slave ( left the bar in).
    Then you guys weren't kidding removing the chain from the sprocket is tricky.
    I took of the chain off at the back and then slid the front sprocket out until It cleared into the gap that the clutch slave cylinder made.
    Then it's just (lol) a case of removing the chain outwards to clear all the teeth at the same time with about a 1mm gap.
    Wow I will have more patience with my mechanic from now on.
    I also read that it should be well greased
    Will do a test ride at the weekend.

Cheers and good luck duceri

Took a pic before I removed it
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks SMG will surly try my patience.

13. Yes that was mostly my experience too, if someone had not told me the sprocket would definitely come off I might have given up. I also found that wearing rubber surgical gloves saves a lot of degreasing of hands later on. Other than that, I wouldn't put the bike into gear for undoing the nut, but that's just me, the pros and cons of that operation have bounced around the forums for years. I'd imagine that on the DVT, the slipper clutch will probably stop too much force going to the Gbox anyway. I see someone did give up and fitted the rear sprocket instead, you pays your money... :)

14. What's the preferred swop front or rear ! are you guys changing the front rather then the back because the back changes the cam on the wheel .

15. The Cam change is minimal and is just part of the normal chain adjustment anyway - so for me not an issue.

I started with the front sprocket as it was cheaper - but could not get chain off the sprocket at front to get the sprocket off the output shaft - I guess I should have taken chain off rear sprocket to give less force on the chain and allow more room to work on front - but that day - I did not have the 55mm rear axle Nut Bi Hex Socket - just normal Hex - so had to order one.

But when I was trying to do the front sprocket - I noticed the chain was close to rubber guides also.

So as well as ordering the Bi Hex Socket - I ordered the rear sprocket too - I chose to do the rear just from a wear perspective - one less tooth on front meant 1/15th more wear on front sprocket and because of the clearance to the rubber guides.

Neither of which are real reasons - but after 45 minutes on the front - I did not want to go there again...

16. I think you nailed the problem there Simon, the chain has to be derailed from the rear sprocket to get enough play to manoeuvre the front sprocket out. Having done it once, I reckon I could release the front sprocket in a few minutes, with the help of two small 1/4" flat blade screwdrivers. Easy with hindsight, lol.

17. ;)

#17 Hyperextended, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  18. I did the rear on mine, up from 40 to 42 tooth. It makes a significant difference and I recommend it. I got a local tyre place to do the fitting for me as I didn't have a socket for the rear wheel. Took them 30 mins.

I stayed away from the front sprocket due to the complexities above.

19. My 14t has been dispatched. Do I need any special tools apart from torque wrench and breaker bar?

Cheers :)

20. Depends how special your toolbox is atm :)
    you'll need the 32mm socket for the sprocket nut, and the Ducati chain adjuster tool to push the rear wheel forward to derail the chain. Surgical rubber gloves help. Patience is your friend, it will come off, most of the tips are already in the thread. Good Luck, it's worth the cussing!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information