1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Wheel Chock Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by RoadRunner, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Hi, can anyone recommend a free standing front wheel chock for a 848?
    Last week spent 6 hours sat at the road side (3 in total darkness) only to be recovered by a 'local' recovery company (not the RAC who I pay through the nose for) who had no specific tie downs or gear to secure a sports bike to a flatbed. So now looking for my own gear. Many chocks I've looked at appear to be for smaller MC's?
    Abba have a 3-4 month wait for stock.....and even they cannot explain their wheel sizing.
    Cheers
    RR

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Most chocks fit any 17 inch rim, can’t say I’ve seen any that don’t.

But the big question is how are you going to carry it for when you break down again?!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. For "our" type of bikes/17" front wheel, I don't think you can go far wrong with above or a variation on that design, can't even remember my exact model but this is similar:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391890901318?hash=item5b3e849946:g:yz0AAOSwcw1eb2Xp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ConStands-...ycle+Front+Wheel+Chock&qid=1629252622&sr=8-46

used it several times and very secure and easy to use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. :joy:

Well, I wasn't planning on breaking down again, but these things are never planned are they! Annoyingly I was only about 5-6 miles from home and on the ZX6R which to be fair has been really reliable. I use a trickle charger full time and the battery had been fine until..... and it just gave out all of a sudden once I stopped. No dash, no nothing, but alarm still beeped.
    Back to your point, I'd of asked my lad to bring the chock and suitable straps for when the truck finally arrives - 6 hours later. Oh, and some clothes to get out my one piece fricking leathers! The RAC were useless and restored to requesting a local company to rescue my bike....... cos they canna cope - due to Covid of course. Watching the lad attempt to strap the bike down, saying, "it shouldn't crack yer fairings" wasn't appreciated. So, points to note - don't use the RAC and have your own equip to strap yer bike down plus chock and hope you break down near home if you have to! Should of taken the Duc out to play......

• Like Like x 1
  5. Most breakdown providers use 3rd party as bike recovery kit is expensive to not just buy but also deploy - takes longer and these things are costed by the minute.

For bikes, bike insurers are just as good for breakdown tbh. Or get a mate with a van like I have @cookster :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Ummmm.... daughter has a Transit Custom..... but decked out as a day van - was very tempting to hijack it! But now have a set of handlebar straps, rear wheel strap and soon a f/wheel chock once I've got off the fence (OCD thingie). I've been considering a van but it's making that decision - ditch the car, retire and cruise in the van? However, still a few years off pension collecting and have a double garage to pay for next month (for more MC's and a trailer). So if you break down near Derbyshire get in touch.:p

7. i love my van, comes in handy for picking mates up when they break down @bradders

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I have a van but no mates :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. No van and mates, a select few (but without vans). Question: when strapping yer M/C down I assume its better in the vertical position and not resting on the sidestand - and using a f/wheel chock? Doesn't the s/stand (on the 848) bolt directly into the crankcases and therefore likely to damage them if the s/stand is under too much load, i.e strapped down on it? Cos, that's how the 'less experienced' recovery person loaded my ZX6R...grrrrr - the s/stand does bolt onto the frame. Wasn't a pretty sight but she survived to be ridden again!

10. you've hit on a controversial one but I think you have it right. Strapping down on the side stand virtually no matter what bike, is a last resort for me and if you are travelling a long haul it takes the stress away knowing it's not going anywhere if strapped upright/sidestand up. Having said that, I even strap as bolt upright as possible and use that as a reference in case a left or a right strap has loosened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wheel chock, vertical and 4 ratchet straps or if you’re extra cautious as my pal was picking up a Tuono.

Bike in chock

1 strap each side of handlebars ratchet them tight to pull towards your bulkhead
    1 strap each side for the foot peg loops to hold it vertical
    If you must have a 5th over the seat as my pal did, I just use 4.

I’d only ever ratchet down with just the side stand in a pinch.:confused:

12. I’d rather strap to the wall than on the stand if it’s available. Last resort is stand. More because I always worry it could bounce a bit in transit and the stand move. Never seen it, probably irrational

13. I only use 2 ratchet straps and that's it!! Some use hundreds and some use a lot less, it's about personal preference and what makes you feel secure!!!

I would always advise not to strap your bike down so that the suspension is fully bottomed out, you want the bike to absorb the bumps in the van like you would on the road.

For all my bikes I strap through the rear sets making sure the bike is as near vertical as possible and that's it. If i have my bulkhead out then I’ll add a strap to the rear wheel to prevent it shooting forward under heavy braking or an accident.

I am however planning to try and fit 2 bikes in my van (I have a double cab) and I want them to sit straight in the van rather than on an angle. For this I’m going to remove the rear bench seat and use two wheel chocks. The chocks are there just to hold the bikes for me whilst loading. Having two bikes in the van will mean I can't use the rear sets so I’ll strap the front down via the handlebars and secure the rear.

Hope that helps?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. These are the best thing since sliced bread was invented, i picked mine up from ebay for £20.00 not that long ago.
    DSCN7788[1].JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. that's the kiddy, front chock has less area (than type I suggested) but maybe other type is overkill but allows for lazy/less strapping. One of the main priorities is that there's no chance of rim contacting the chock(s) and on some of the designs they still can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. And try not to put in while front tyre hot!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. First time I used a chock after a trackday, I couldn’t get the bike off the trailer as it was welded to the chock. Had to deflate the tyre and break the rubber away with tyre levers.
    I now have a lovely piece of cardboard that I lay in the chock to prevent post trackday stickage.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information