1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fuel Gauge:suddenly Not Working! Wtf ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DudleyDuke, May 31, 2016.

1. So Mutley is deciding to be a 'Bad Dog' lol
    Was low on fuel so decided to go and feed him. As we got down the road the gauge went to Red. No probs as its only a couple of miles from his kennel. Filled up and still on Red!

WTF!! :rage:

2. But that can't be right... they've had so many versions of fuel sender they must have gotten the DVT one right :tearsofjoy:

Welcome to Ducati. They'll replace it under warranty with a fuel sender that'll do exactly the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Good job I knew about the reputation Ducati had but still decided to go ahead with buying...
    I had my 796 Monster for 2 years and never had a single issue with it.
    As long as I don't have to wait as long for the replacement fuel sender as I did for my auxiliary lights...

4. Hope you get it sorted quickly,...and i'm waiting on my aux lights & front crash-bars!

5. It's "just" the usual fuel level sender issue by the sound of it. Your dealer will fit a new one.

6. Then use High Octane fuel :)

7. GunZenBomz:
    I suspect I would still be waiting IF I hadn't emailed DucatiUK. I then had a phone call from a very nice lady in Bologna apologizing. Few days after that the lights arrived at JHP. Go figure.

8. Get your dealer to check the part number on their system, if there is an A at the end of the part number and it shows not available, tell them to put a B instead at the end, it then shows they are available (but with my memory it could be the other way around) :)
    Riders discovered this and showed it to me.

9. The Ducati part number is printed on the white label which is tagged onto the electric cable to the fuel gauge sender - you can see it when the seat is off. A few months ago 592.1.021.2C was superseded by part number 592.1.021.1D which is the current latest version. So far ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sorry @GunZenBomZ I wanderd off thread, that problem I mentioned about the part number is about the auxillary lights, please accept humblest apologies :oops:

11. Well my 2014 was showing 120 miles remaining.... and died on the main A34 trunk road ...turns out it had NO FUEL AT ALL - irony was that it was going in as fuel guage seemed unreliable - and never went ABOVE half full when filled up.

This was however the first time it had failed to show BELOW half....to make matters worse Ducati Breakdown refused to help as my bike " Was not registered" despite being less than 2 years old....

Good Job Moto Rapido Ducati in Winchester were brilliant and came to assist in a van - took it in and completed the scheduled work - Complained to Ducati and so far nothing but an apology - despite completely failing me with a "service" thats supposed to be included in the sale of the bike....

Am i being unreasonable to expect a goodwill gesture - a years breakdown or some credit towards the next service - for leaving me in a dangerous spot where it could be considered breach of contract ???

Rob

12. Update:
    knowing that I had a full tank of fuel I decided to take Mutley to work on Friday. Parked him up and thought nothing more of it...came out of work, fired him up and bingo! Suddenly the fuel gauge is working again. Still be taking it back to JHP though when I return from holiday.

13. The fuel sender story on the Mutley is a long and sorry one. I always set a trip to zero when I fill up and cross reference it against the fuel gauge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Im Currently on my 4th fuel sender !!

15. Don't leave the bike for long periods with low fuel. That seems to be the trigger for it to fail.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. my 2016my DVT with a D spec fuel sender had to be replaced too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mines not done to bad, just turned a year old and started playing up. Filled up this morning all OK filled up again this afternoon and still showed empty. In for first year service tomorrow and now a fuel sender If they have one on stock

18. I had no problem for a year, they replaced it with a newer version on 9k service, my only other comment I run my bike with super unleaded.

19. Did I read somewhere that its a good idea to fully switch the bike off (not just the kill switch), The gauge will do its calculations faster. ?

20. Pah, this bike has the ability to excite and frustrate in equal measures
    Awesome blast this morning till fuel light came on - with almost full tank!
    From this forum it seems that this is a known fault and most likely requires the fuel sensor to be replaced
    Have a 5 day 2000 mile ride around Mont Blanc planned in two weeks time and won't have the chance during the day to take my strada to a dealer between now and then
    If the labour charge is about £130 then it sounds like a couple of hours mechanics time and realistically prob double that for me, I could do that in the evenings
    Happy to do minor spannering provided nothing too complex or needing special tools
    1. Has anyone replaced the fuel sensor, if so is it a straightforward task,
    2. Any special tools or knowledge outside the workshop manual needed?
    3. Does the ECU need resetting by a dealer once the job is done?
    4. I have checked and have the ....~1D sensor fitted - is this the latest?
    Many thanks
    Jack
    2015 1200S DVT

Do Not Sell My Personal Information