1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Fuel Gauge...

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Teetheowl, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Hello folks, been away from the site for a while as I've been so bloody busy...

Anyway, my Muttley has started having a up and down fuel gauge.. I fill it up, then the gauge jumps up and down a bit before settling, I know I've got fuel in it but when it drops it's a little disconcerting to say the least...

She's a 2012 standard ABS only model, no fancy skyhook or anything. Had a service recently, all working fine other than that.

So, is this the 'fuel gauge' issue that I've seen mentioned in other places from time to time?

2. 100% the sender, especially if you are on the original version. Cost of the sender isn’t horrendous but the time it takes to fit it is rediculous. A competent home mechanic can do it DIY. If you have a full Ducati service history, your dealer should be able to get a goodwill gesture from Ducati as I did. Andy

3. Bugger.
    I aint a competent mechanic... And I've got 3/4 ducati service history... AAAAGH!!!!
    What's it cost does anyone know?

4. Had mine done about 6 weeks ago, Ducati paid for the part, which was the latest version released that week.. ask you local dealer

5. Thanks mate, I'll do just that.

6. The Ducati part number is printed on the white label which is tagged onto the electric cable to the fuel gauge sender - you can see it when the seat is off. There have been several successive versions of the sender. In 2016 part no 592.1.021.2C was superseded by part number 592.1.021.1D which is the version I have fitted. It works well and is the current latest version as far as I know. If anybody knows of a later one, please would they mention it on here and give the part number.

So what is the number on yours @Teetheowl ?

7. I had my fuel sender replaced by Pro Twins circa 6 weeks ago, the updated sender had been released that week, sorry I do not have the part # though

8. Spoke to the local dealer. £63 for the part, £125 labour for fitting.
    OR if I get the bike to them, they take some pics and look at the service record, they maybe able the get the part from Ducati for nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks aero!

10. I’ve a D suffix part fitted to replace the old one. Been on a couple of years and works fine so problem solved??...maybe but now I’m told there is now an E version. OMG!

11. I’ve a D suffix part fitted to replace the old one. Been on a couple of years and works fine so problem solved??...maybe but now I’m told there is now an E version. OMG!

12. Not got round to sorting it, bloody work.

Think I'm just going to go to a local dealer to work who is part Ducati and get them to fix it.

13. The fuel gauge on my 2017 DVT has worked OK for 14K miles and nearly two years. Guess what? It has just started going wrong, giving inconsistent readings, and being a pain. Snells will replace it under warranty.

By the way I notice that according to the parts list the part number for the sender in current models is
    592.1.021.1E . Anyone know if this version is really better?

14. Yesterday I had a new fuel gauge sender fitted by Snells under warranty to my 2017 DVT. Its number is 592.1.021.2F so that must be the latest type. Hoping it will keep working for longer.

15. Mine has gone wonkers at 20k miles. Dealer says Ducati will supply part for free but shop has to do diagnostics to verify failure. Shop cost $170. They won't give me the part to change myself.
    I can order the part for $106. What to do?

16. Write a pithy email to ducati-usa stating you are sharing your experience of a known fault. That will doubtless cost you more than the item to purchase. Due to the bizarre antics of your local dealership.

Which imho should waiver the diagnostic shenanigans for your future business/monies. Can you get the dealership to message you in writing there assumption of this cost. Is this their policy of ducati warranty? Is it out of warranty..

I'd at least state clearly to the dealership manager in person you are not impressed. These sorts of small incidents make ones views murky when recommending.. you can see where I'm going with this. Prehap's try another dealership to see if this is a regular occurrence?!!?

17. About three years ago, the fuel gauge sender had failed (as usual) on the Multi I had then. I walked into Hyside Motorcycles of Romford, having never bought a bike nor anything else from them before, and mentioned it to the spares guy. I also said I was happy to fit the sender myself.

He immediately handed over a new sender free of charge, as a warranty item, and I walked out having spent precisely £Nil. I duly fitted the part and cured the problem - for a while.

Needless to say I was very impressed with Hyside over this, and have bought over £1,000 worth of stuff from them subsequently.

@hawkster 's dealer seems a lot less helpful.

18. I'll try talking to the dealership service manager and see what he says. He's a newer guy. They did the key fob and reset service light for me no charge yesterday. (Which they should have done for the recall).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information