1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Leak 900sl

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Kevin Tallant, Jun 17, 2018.

1. I have a slight fuel leak from 1994 sl.
    It appears to be around the fuel drain nut. Have tighten nut one flat & appears to have stopped, contemplated putting ptfe style tape on bolt, but not sure if it would react with fuel ? Tank looks ok outside looking at seems, have tried shining torch inside but can't see a great deal.

20180617_103319.jpg

2. If tightening the drain plug has stopped it, then maybe it was just a bad seal on the plug - trouble is these tanks are notorious for leaks especially in the rear area near the hinge etc.

Although PTFE tape should be OK, I personally would either find a nice new soft aluminium or copper washer; or one of those red fibre washers, and slap some 3Bond on the washer faces.

AL

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Had similar problem on my 900ss. I rode it back to the dealership with petrol running down the frame to my boots. They reckoned it was caused by water laying in the bottom of the tank rusting through. It was fixable.

4. You can get a sealant petrol proof from any car factors/halfords etc:upyeah:

#4 XH558, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. But I don't want a sealant proof petrol. ;)

6. fixed:upyeah:

7. Petrol-proof sealant?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information