1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Fuel Leak From High Pressure Hoses.

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by JoeC, Jun 29, 2019.

1. 8CFD22F7-5602-4243-96A9-63F7F47B8BA6.jpeg 988AD631-F7ED-4280-8051-57F5E1035BAD.jpeg Since I’ve recommissioned my 998 I have noticed a fuel smell and today investigated and found the following weep under the airbox when the fuel pump is primed (see pics). Would anyone know if this part (little white barrel) is available or is it a job for the garage as the pipes leading from it are heat shrunk?
    It looks undamaged inside and fits with a satisfactory click but something in clearly amiss and the drip lands square on the horizontal cylinder head with potential inflammatory consequences!

2. its a connector male and female so there is a little green o ring on the connector squeeze the sticky out bits and they will come apart

if its the pipe, junk that and replace with h/pressure rubber hose and oettinger clips

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks, I will whip it off and see if I can get it apart (as opposed to just removing it from the brass union underneath!

4. image.jpg
    I don’t see any way to take it apart? Also I have no O ring, I’m guessing it would sit inside the little barrel at the female end, in the visible channel between the white push fit interior and the beige outer casing?

5. thats the female end wheres the other that goes into it...

6. I know. I knew how to get the two different parts apart, I figured you were inferring this piece came apart to allow the O ring to be replaced?
    In any case, it seem logical simply to bypass this part and join a new fuel line directly to the brass ‘male’ end?
    What are Oettinger clips? I can’t find a reference to them.
    Thanks btw!

7. They are really called "Oetiker Clamps" and you need to get the right £10 tool (Halfords sell them) to reliably tighten them and undo them without causing damage, used extensively on Ducatis
    https://www.oetiker.com/

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. heres that connector with the correct other end...an o ring sits in that waisted bit.

IMG_1605.jpg

9. Thanks, I’ll see if I can find something similar as my nearest Halfords would be at least a 30 hr round trip!

10. Mine has the brass fitting on the fuel lines. Maybe the 748-996 were different?

C766BA05-A806-4E58-8F84-0C0E039E6AE7.jpeg
    Shit photo but you can just make it out.

11. Ah ha, mine is different, it is metal but exactly the same shape (maybe upgraded for 998 or non OEM). You can see the base of it in my first picture. I have no O ring but I have an idea there was one originally, oops.
    Gonna just bypass the whole thing with a new fuel line!

12. Thanks !
    Often wondered what those little buggers were called ,
    and how to remove / replace them ..... :bucktooth:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information