1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Leaked And Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by gurjit, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Hi

was on my bike ducati streetfighter 848 when suddenly had loss of power. there was leak at the bottom of the bike smelt like fuel had after further inspection looks like its leaked oil. where the oil level is on the glass looks like it may of mixed with fuel.

is it the end of the bike ? only had it for 7 months i have extended warranty..

IMG_3042.jpeg IMG_3043.jpeg

2. Without a closer inspection/more photos, it’s impossible to tell. That area gets covered with oil fling and crud from the chain as it goes around the front sprocket. I’d remove the front sprocket cover, thoroughly clean the entire area then look and see if there’s an oil leak.

Its unlikely an oil leak from the engine would cause a sudden loss of power. A long running slow leak or a sudden massive loss of oil could/would cause an engine seizure if not acted upon quickly, but you’d notice that and it’s different to a loss of power.

“where the oil level is on the glass looks like it may of mixed with fuel.”
    a photo would help, if it’s a milky looking emulsion that’s just condensation inside the glass, happens through lack of use or only short runs, give the bike a good long run.

“is it the end of the bike ? only had it for 7 months i have extended warranty..”
    Highly unlikely, but if it has a warranty use it, speak with the supplying dealer about the issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Looks like fling to me, and probably coincidence.

Get it back to the dealer to check it over. Use the warranty mate.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I agree, looks like chain fling. I am guilty of over oiling my chain. Mine is worse than above until I periodically clean the area.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Agree with all good advice above.
    That’s not likely an oil leak - too gloopy, def chain oil running out the front guard.
    Defo need the photo of oil sight glass to see what you’re referring to.
    848 engines are pretty bomb proof in the main so as the fellas have said above, get back to the dealer and they’ll sort for you.
    This loss of power is doubtful attributed to anything to do with an oily chain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thanks, so i called the company who i have taken extended warranty may be a burst. the AA mechanic removed the tank could not find the pipe so had to transport it over to a mechanic. i spoke to the the dealer said most likely a dirty oil in the oil sight glass .. will see what the mechanics to see if they fix the issue.

7. Not sure dirty oil in sight glass would cause power issues, either.

I'd give the chain and covers a clean and re-lube, get the oil changed and ask the dealer to establish the cause of power loss, which IME is usually down to fuelling, electrics or the engines ability to breathe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thanks , ill deal with the chain clean up.. ill contact the dealer with regards to the above..

• Like Like x 1
  9. I reckon it’s the clutch slave leaking and washing out the chain gloop to form what appears to be an oil leak.

• Like Like x 2
  10. That’s chain lube that’s ran down. Get a picture of your sight glass if you can.

11. sure will post it

12. brave of you to step in with that R, was thinking the same but didn't post out of weariness. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. what do you mean ?

14. The o-ring in teh clutch slave has worn allowing clutch fluid to leak. It mixes with the chain fling and drips. Its a common problem. Its happened on my 916 and my 1198. I replaced the oem clutch slave on my 1299 almost immediately I got it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. oh many thanks for letting me know will speak to the mechanic.. thank you for the update very helpful to know... glad iv joined this forum getting some helpful support ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Isn't a sign of this the clutch fluid in the reservoir going black? Happened on my 916, fluid slowly goes black then no clutch, could be confusing with master cylinder failure

17. Fluid can go darker over time. This is usually when I replace mine, when it approaches the colour of your morning pee.

Ive had this twice. The 1st sign I got, that I'd noticed, was when the lever came back to the bar. Fortunately not far from home and I'd get home with no clutch. Jumping the odd red light.

As I tend to over lube my chain, I'd not noticed amongst the muck that it was dilute with clutch fluid. I guess it all depends.

18. There’s also a pair of o-rings on the clutch pushrod which seal oil into an oil galley the pushrod goes through. If one of these fails, or is damaged when the pushrod is inserted it will allow engine oil to migrate along the pushrod and exit, albeit in tiny tiny quantities, but over time ….

I think we need a photo of the sight glass too.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information