1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Fuel Pressure

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by uk_biker, May 17, 2021.

1. Has anyone checked the fuel pressure on a 999, Im thinking it should be at 3bar but cant find any real info in the manual. Also it should stay at 3bar at idle and all other rev ranges correct? Mine is at 3 bar at idle but when revs increase pressure drops. Engine revs fine but while riding engine will not rev above 8k in any gear. Thinking pump is bad.

2. It's 3bar regardless of rpm.

3. I rather suspect the fuel pressure regulator sticking than the pump going bad. Cheaper to check that before

4. I was thinking the same but pressure at idle is 3 bar. Only at high revs the pressure drops. Was thinking the pump could not keep up with the fuel demand or the pressure regulator is leaking enough to cause problems only at high revs. Which way to go ? im going to block off the return to the tank fuel pipe as i think this goes to the regulator and see if pressure drops while at high revs

5. The pump usually delivers way more so that makes me think that the regulator sticks and just doesn’t allow the flow the injectors need. A pump which fails just on higher revs must be that dead that it’s nearly impossible that it runs at all!

6. And:

Mind DonMoto71’s law #1:

it’s always the cheapest part, although you don’t believe it

7. 3bar is running pressure. If you’re losing it when rev’d and it won’t pull load, put a new fuel filter in before you go chasing pumps and regulators.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Filter already replaced.

#9 uk_biker, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
  9. just pulled the fuel module and checked the regulator. I submerged the regulator in fuel and supplied air pressure until the regulator released pressure. It released a 40psi, no leak until then.so it seams to be fine. I checked the fuel pump it maxes out at 50psi. Now i dont know if this is high enough has anyone checked this ? I have a feeling this is also good so am i looking at injectors ????

10. Im trying to install the fuel module and i cannot get it back in. Does the seal swell making it a one time use? I didnt have any issues before but it was a new seal. Been trying for over a hour and when i thought it had gone in it leaked and also ive scratched the tank right on the top so im steaming right now.

11. So this is what ive found out or should i say not found out.
    I had some new fuel tank module seals sent overnight, they were not ducati seals so i got 5 seals for less that the cost of one ducati seal. The module just pushed in !!!!!! 5 seconds to install. SO i will never TRY and reuse a tank seal again!!,,
    I cleaned out the injectors ,put the air box on with 2 screws, bolted the tank/seat on and went for a ride.No fairing air filters,just enough on the bike to test it again.
    It now runs fine, revs all the to 10K Feeling good but what was the problem ????
    Was it a sticking pressure regulator, was it dirty injectors, is it going to happen again ????
    Fuel pressure is still dropping while revving the engine but i cant find out if this is normal.
    I have a new non ducati pump but i didnt install it as im not sure there's anything wrong with the old one.
    If anyone knows answers to these questions im all ears
    fuel seals.jpg injector clean.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information