1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Pump Bench Test

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by johnny, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ST4S 2002
    Base unit off tank and complete. I tried to do a bench test. Pump sounds very weedy and when I submerge it in a bucket or water nothing comes out of the flow or return pipes. Am I doing anything wrong?

2. yip, you put it in a bucket of water.
    is it carb or injection? if its injection expect at least 30psi, probably more.

3. The pump is normally submerged in fuel but I don't know if dumping it in a bucket of water is a very good idea. It should be produce about 6 bars of pressure. If you need another one I think the AOU195 here will fit but check the dimensions.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Well, water is heavier than petrol so it probably is harder to pump.;)

I would have put some white spirit in a jar and put the inlet hose in the white spirit -

I say white spirit because it has a much higher flashpoint than petrol - (just in case the battery sparks when connecting the pump)

5. Yes it is injection. I can't get anything out of the flow and return pipes when submerged. Can't work it out.

6. If it doesn't flow at a quite high rate out of the outlet it is probably seized.
    Separate the pump from the flange assembly as this will give you better access to it. There is a mesh filter in the flange at the pump intake, check it is not blocked with rust and debris. Empty the water out of the pump and squirt some WD40 through it to disperse the water and lubricate it. If you connect it to a 12v supply it should whirr. If if doesn't give a good whizz it's probably buggered. Don't do it for more than a few seconds as it can overheat and burn out if it is not immersed.

7. Thanks Derek, and others. it does wiz but with no strength. Nothing comes out of the feeds so I shall take a look at the pump. I can get one for £50 so may change it, god knows I have changed everything else trying to get this bike to run...it is rapidly turning into triggers broom !

8. Bucket of water. That has made my week!!

9. 6bar derick. 90psi, are you sure? nearer 2-3 max maybe?

10. Check the specs Fin. The Walbro pumps are rated at a max pressure of 6.2 bar and 180L/hr. but remember that the pressure regulator blows off at 3.0 bar which is the running pressure. The Hi ITP325 pump is even higher with a 7.2 bar max pressure.

11. ahh, got yah. :upyeah: but he will be measuring after the regulator no?.

12. I doubt if he'll be measuring anything but if he gets a reasonable flow rate it should be ok. 180 litres and hour = 6 litres a minute = a litre in 10 sec.

13. is that the figures for after the regulator? doubt this will be relevant for a petrol tho i will wager the actual pump part of the assembly is similar in capacity, but the last fuel pump i checked for low flow was indeed as you say, crap (slime in this case) in the pick up gauze.

14. The pump has its own bypass to maintain a continuous 5 bar but not loose the fuel cooling effect by losing flow, it is capable of delivering over 6 bar but does not as installed, the fuel system pressure regulator should be separate and is usually set at 3 bar

15. Sorry, no personal experience with these pumps from Glencoe. But if you check the dimensions and electrical connections to make sure you order one which fits your bike I don't see why you should have a problem. It should come with a 12 month warranty.

16. Thanks Derek. TBH I can get a Bosch item which is the one used originally, so shall probably go for that.

17. UPDATE. Pulled the pump out and wired it up it pulsed weekly at about 5 beats a second. Is it buggered?

18. I'll say it's buggered - you won't get far on your bike with it pumping once a week.;)

PS. You could also try https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/

I have used them many times and found them really good.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information