1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Fuel Sender Fault 1260s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Jim_UK, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Fired up my 1260S last night and despite having a nearly full tank, it was flashing empty and did that for the whole ride.

I've read most of the previous posts but wanted to start a new thread to further highlight how common this is. My bike is 3 months past the end of the Ever red +12 warranty so going to have to try my local dealer who serviced it in March to see if they will be able to help. It's a 19 plate with less than 6k on.

From what I've read, I certainly won't be wanting to pay for a new one myself.

2. It will depend on how good your relationship with the workshop manager is. He will have to argue your case with Ducati and then get less from a good will repair allowance than it will actually cost him. You might get the new sender but get asked to pay labour. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Not too difficult to do yourself if you want to save the labour cost

4. Ps Occasionally they start working again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have a 17 plate Super Sport and the fuel sender packed up while on a tour of the Pyrenees last September, just had it replaced at its service. This seems to be a common fault across “modern” Ducati’s?

6. ‘They all do that sir. It’s part of the character’.

Mine certainly has stopped working. Thank goodness for trip meters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not having seen one I'm assuming that they're a plastic float in a plastic tube with some sort off potentiometer?

Is the float and/or tube swelling due to ethanol and then jamming and is there a possibility for repair rather than replacement?

8. Yes there’s a repair video on eBay. The electric contacts/ circuit needs re-soldering apparently.
    Don’t think it’s an ethanol thing, more of a not fit for purpose thing. Apparently they all fail after a while.

Not sure but they might have revised it now so the replacements are more robust.

Replacing it is on my to-do list but bigger fish to fry at the moment.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks for all the extra info. I'm going to see what my dealer says first but I'll certainly be letting Ducati UK know my thoughts publicly if they don't play ball.

10. Thanks, are these the relevant videos?

Looks like it's just a case of re-flowing the solder. Bugger to get into though and no video showing how to effectively reseal the base. Would guess that epoxy is the answer, either that or tap the holes and use short Allen bolt with a fuel resistant o-ring/washer. For all the faff involved in a repair that may then leak maybe best to just replace for the £140 it would cost for the sender.

The part number of the Fuel Level Sender has changed from 59210211F to 59210212G which indicates that it's been updated, how effective that update is remains to be seen. No idea when that change took place though.

#10 Bumpkin, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. They all do it guvnah .... :D

Shame an iconic manufacturer that can win Moto GP's cannot sort out a feckin' reliable fuel sender really. You will struggle to find any Ducati owner of a year or more that has NOT had the issue :)

12. These use to fail on my old 1100 S Multi. Shame they didn't get it right first time on the 1260 !

13. You'll replace the fuel sender more times than you'll replace the tyres, if you want a functioning one.

14. It’s such a shame that we’re all agreeing on this. My 1260 PP has just had one too.
    Ducati should man-up on this one and at least offer a free diy swap kit.

15. It’s a lot of work to save a few quid and I agree with the post above, how the hell do you seal it?

16. OK, I own up :p, none of my 3 Multistradas (MY13 1200GT, MY15 1200S DVT, MY18 1260S) have had the fuel sender problem, total of 110k miles between them, so maybe it only affects low use, low mileage bikes :thinkingface:, or maybe I've just been lucky, although the 1260 has suffered a far greater issue, so maybe not :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mine has just gone again on my 2016 DVT PP, this will be number 4 , seriously peed off with this thing :(

18. I’m on my third sender (2012 ‘S’) just coming up 50,000 miles. The first replacement barely made a mile up the road from the dealership before failing :joy: The change in resistance as the fuel level decreases on the current one, means the bars on the dash decrease exponentially (you’d expect linear) but there is actually 10 litres in the tank when the gauge starts to flash. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  19. The problem isn't that I can't use a trip meter, nor the range/bars stating zero. It's the fooking bright amber lamp on the main dash. I do look at the dash and it got on my tits that much I had to mask it, which we shouldn't have to do on any bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. My 18 plate 1260s, the sender isn't showing full now, I'll know more on a trip to Scotland.. I understand they can be repaired? I'll have a go at that over winter if it doesn't work just fit a new one

Do Not Sell My Personal Information