1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Fuel Sensor / Sender Repair - Success !

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by daddypew, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Thought I'd share my experience with a fix for the fuel sensor fault common to most models!
    Wasnt keen on spending money on a new one, knowing they don't last so I followed a guide on YouTube ... not in English I'm afraid, but you can get the jist of it.
    Sorry, no pics, but my method was ...
    • Remove Fuel sensor.
    • Drill out the Epoxy to reveal the 3 hidden screws and disassemble the sensor.
    • Test the sensor with a K Ohm multimeter, sliding the float across the sensor to reveal the faulty area.
    • Re-solder all solder connections around that area (Reed switch and resistors).
    • I then went on to re-solder every connection to be sure !
    • Retest and ensure correct operation (cant remember the values, but it's a progressive step from one reed switch to the next)
    • Re-assemble, clean and fill the drilled holes with epoxy resin.
    • Re-fit and check for leaks.

I'm on my third tank full and still working ... lets hope it's fixed :)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nice one, good work, need to do the same myself.

3. Come round my house do mine ...I haven't the skills to do that

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. I toke me 8 weeks to get the new sender part now can find anywhere to fit in with in the next 6 weeks ‍♂️

5. I think it’s fairly easy to do it yourself @rotaxracer did his and might be able to offer advice

6. I have done several fuel sensors, front panels off the bike and then only a 5 min job, run your fuel down as much as you dare, 4 bolts to release the tank, fuel pump pipes off and then lift the tank, stand on its end and unscrew the sensor, screw the new one in the reverse the process! Easy! :p

7. As expert as RTR clearly undoubtedly is :)kissing_heart:), he didn't do what the thread starter did, did he?
    He 'ONLY' replaced the fuel sensor as a complete unit, something I categorically fully appreciate, I COULDN'T do.............:broken_heart:

8. I bet you could do a repair for these on an exchange basis, for a nominal fee.

9. I'd consider it :)

10. I had a new unit fitted, they come with a two year warranty so it it does happen to fail again, it will not cost me to get it swapped.

11. anyone willing to send me a faulty one ?
    I'll then have a base to start from

12. I would if I knew/could manage to get it off the bike :joy:

13. What epoxy resin did you use ? Something like araldite?

14. just send me the bike :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes, Araldite Standard

Do Not Sell My Personal Information