1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Fuelling Issue

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Kage, May 15, 2018.

1. Help, my bike won't start!

I've just fitted a new termignomi slip on which came with a new air filter. With everything completed I went to start the bike, but it wouldn't fire up.

Usually when the ignition is turned on, there's a whirling sound for 5 seconds or so-is this the fuel pump? Now, however, the whirling doesn't stop and after about 30secs, the fuel light comes on? There's plenty of petrol in the tank. I've checked the fuel line and that doesn't seem compromised. The plug at the back of the tank is connected. I'm not sure what else to look at.

Can any one advise. My 899 is going in for a service on Saturday, so I must get this fixed.

Thanks guys

2. Sounds like a fuel pump problem, did definitely reconnect the wires??

3. The sound when u start up could be the exhaust flappy valve. Have you installed the up-map with the slip ons and filter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hi Andy
    The instructions directed me to remove the servo that controls the flappy valve. The termi kit has a blanking plug for the servo socket. The exhaust didn't come with an up-map, but I did fit the new air filter.

Cookster, I've checked the wires a few times now. Everything is plugged in. I agree, sounds like a fuel pump issue. I'm a bit stuck! Not sure how to sort this and I'm panicking as its booked in Saturday morning.

5. if you removed the fuel tank to fit the air filter, then i woul dlift the tank again to check the fuel lines are not leaking.
    normally the fuel pump runs prior to start up to charge the system. this is then turned off when the pressure is reached. if there is a small leak then it could be the pressure isn't being achieved.

did you remove the upper throttle body injector setup to get the filter in and out? check here also as i found my 1299 fuel line wasn't a great fit at this point..

6. I would say its almost definitely something you have done, go back over your work one thing at a time, did you reconnect the earth by the fuel pump, trap the overflow pipes at the front of the tank, you cannot just disconnect the servo motor with out bringing up errors, the upmap for the termi's clears the servo motor errors.

7. Hi Nathanhu

I agree, this is what it sounds like.

I didn’t remove the tank-just lifted from the rear whilst hinged at the front. I have lifted it again a few times but cannot see any issues. To be honest apart from the fuel line, I’m not sure what else I’m looking at.

I might fully remove the tank and have a good look. It’s possible something has been dislodged whilst fitting the air filter as it was fiddly fitting the air filter with the tank only propped open.

I have until Friday evening to get this fixed!

8. Mmmmh, the over flow. I’ll check that this afternoon.

Should the Termignoni exhaust come with a upmap as new?

9. Only if purchased from Ducati, if you purchased from a independent no upmap will be supplied, Panigale electrics are a bit fickle, i just rebuilt mine and when first turned on it was reading 32mph standing still without the engine running, because of this i could not access any menus as the ecu was thinking the bike was on the move, turned out to be a abs pump connector, my point is the electrical issue may not be directly a fuel pump connector but something else down the line not directly connected to the fuel pump. Lift the tank and retry the fuel pump connector, make sure the tag locates, also look at the pins inside as they bend easy.

10. I agree, if the pump is at a constant pitch for 30seconds and then never gets to a point where it starts I would say it's an issue with the fuel rail not getting to adequate fuel pressure. Could be a number of things including a pressure sensor that's been knocked or miss-placed.

11. There is no fuel pressure sensor it is simply run for a time preset by the ECU. When the engine turns over on the starter the ECU receives pulses from the crank sensor which turn the pump relay back on again. It needs to be established whether the pump is turning on at switch on or not.
    The noise heard by the OP could have been the exh. valve servo which also cycles at switch on but will not now that it has been removed. Without the addition of an electronic servo eliminator device the dash will throw up an error warning, a yellow light shaped like a car engine. Could this be being confused with the fuel light?

12. Hi Derek,
    It’s defiantly the fuel light.

Phil,
    It’s the fuel light which comes on after 30secs. The whirling sound continues after that.

I’ve ordered a up-map t800. I’m hoping that corrects some faults as I cannot see anything physically wrong. On the up-map website, it says the exhaust valve sensor is disabled. I’m hoping this fixes the issue. If not, it doesn’t matter that I’ve spent the money on the t800, as I wanted one anyway.

Fingers crossed...

13. OK. So it seems that the fuel pump is running all the time and fuel light is coming on after 30 secs or so. The wires for the pump and the fuel level sensor are all on the same connector. Is it possible that you could have connected it the wrong way round?

14. Not sure that’s possible as the plug has the clip on one side. I’ll check this arvo as I’m out and about this morning.
    This nice weather is killing me! I should be out on my bike :-(

15. A642B7A3-8848-47EA-87CC-06DCC8713096.png

Note the exhaust and lambda sensors being disabled.

16. Yes, but some people can be incredibly ham-fisted. Hopefully not you.

17. So an update.

The bike is still yet to start. Up-Map T800 installed and correct map loaded for the new termi race slip ons-made no difference.

I managed to get hold of one of the technicians at my local dealer yesterday before they closed. He suggested checking the fuel is getting injected by lifting from the front of the tank and to check the top spark plug to see if it was flooded. Well the spark plug is dry, but no fuel is getting pumped-not what I can see anyway! He asked if I could hear the fuel pump which I thought I could. But now I think the whirling sound is something up front nearer the ignition key. The mechanic said to check the pump by opening the fuel cap and turning on the ignition. I should then be able to hear and even feel via the rank the fuel pump priming-nope.

Today I checked the fuses. They are ok. Where is the fuel pump relay? Do I need to check that next. How do I check it? Do I just by a new one and see if that cures the fault. I need to locate it first!

After that, I don't know what to do.

Thanks guys

18. Sounds like you are having a rough trot getting the old girl running. Hope you get to the Root cause soon.
    FWIW I fitted Termi’s on mine recently, glad I did. Sounds much nicer and runs better esp in race mode :upyeah:

19. C'mon yeah-don't rub my face in it! Glad yours has worked out and been a beneficial mod.

Very eager to get the Duke back up and running. I'm interested to here and feel the difference the exhaust (front exit racing slip-one) and new map have made. I'm going to be so happy when the 899 booms back into life.

20. Did you check you have not bent one of the pins in the fuel pump when pushing the connector back in ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information