1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Funny Cloncking Noise From Below.....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pcn1, Mar 25, 2021.

1. I've noticed when riding slowly over pot holes etc, I'm hearing a bang/clonk type noise from what sounds like under the engine.
    Are there any usual suspects to look for ? The side stand seems all good.
    The centre stand, rubber stop is still there but I notice the RHS foot comes up very close to the underside of exhaust when retracted, wonder if that's knocking against it when I hit a pot hole?
    The only other thought was if the chain was slapping against the guide ?

Any thought's ?

Thanks

2. On my ST2, which is quite old, the centre-stand once bent and I could hear it hitting the exhaust. No, that's right, originally, one of the bolts fell out causing it to eventually bend. All I can suggest is to have a good look underneath for missing nuts and bolts - especially on the stands and exhaust.

3. Chain probably if coming from really low. Multi's run loose chains as its adjusted in urban (iirc) which is softest setting and that means its about right in the others but, closed throttle around town, they get a bit slappy

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. My 1200s used to knock when the the front suspension was fully extended, such as when going over a speed bump etc.
    This was diagnosed by Ducati Mcr , suggested using shims in the fork legs would rectify it.
    I never did, I just got used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. My guess would be the center stand bumping on its stop.

6. Cable tie the centre stand so it’s solid and see if that stops the noise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Chain slap is my guess, mine does it as well, less so with chain properly tensioned. Someone else had this issue and I seen to remember they filmed the bike going over a speed bump.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Centre stand. I used to run my 1200 without it until I did a big old trip around Europe and put it back on. As soon as I hit any violent'ish bumps at a low speed it would knock. As said above, zip tie it, drop down a curb and you'll see it's gone.

And for what it's worth, my 1260 does the same too. I've just grown to live with it.

9. That seems a good plan. If I know its the stand then fine, I can live with it and be happy its not something more serious.

Put that on my "too do" list !

10. Agreed, for the reasons you give. I thought it was the mainstand, but its definitely the chain. Its much better if the chain is adjusted correctly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Don’t be tempted to over tighten it

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I had the same issue. Instead of zip tying the center stand, I simply pressed down on it with my heel (since it's in the way anyway) so I held it away from the stop over bumps. This determined it wasn't the centerstand, but was in the fact the chain. I adjusted it and had to go tight to remove the noise. Checked the chain and it was toast and was apparently moving side to side enough to clang around, so I replaced it and noise gone when correctly adjusted.

With the longer swingarm (I assume this is why) the 1260 is a chain slapping fool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Yes she's a slapper especially with thee OEM stretchy chain

14. Quick update: Adjusted chain to correct spec (was slightly loose), went for a 80 mile spin last night and don't recall hearing any more noise.

Happy camper :upyeah:

15. Ride faster. Avoid pot holes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ...and fit Termi exhaust :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. K.I.S.S.

18. Mine used to do this on the OE chain. After changing to a new chain - its clunk free :D I do err on the slightly tighter side of adjustment. Not massively - but about half a link pin tighter

19. If your chain has been slapping for any length of time, I strongly suggest checking the swinging arm pivot point.
    Its common for the chain to wear through the slipper on the top side and into the swinging arm itself.

20. Thanks @John W
    How much work is involved in replacing this slipper? Following your post I checked mine; they don't last long do they?

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information