1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future classics ?????

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by charliem749, May 28, 2013.

1. after reading in numerous magazines how certain bikes can be a good investment if bought at the right time and for the right price, im considering spending up to 5k on a bike but not sure what would be a good investment. 996/998's, rc30 etc are obviously out the price range but are bikes like 916's, f4 750's, cbr 900rr, 99 r1 or 2 strokes such as the cagiva mito a good choice??

Any suggesions are appreciated :)

2. Can't see a Blade or R1 being a future classic, too plentiful. Only way they stand a chance is being microscopically clean, standard, and ultra low mileage. Then park it up, never ride it and wait 20 years.

The Mito might actually work, given that they tend to end up wrecked in a ditch or unloved and ruined. But again, it's going to take time. Pretty much anything bought "as an investment" loses much of it's value if you actually use it.

3. I think the 2 strokes could be a good shout but its going to be hard finding a mito that hasn't been abused

4. If you look at the prices old farts pay for Yamaha Fizzies and RD350's, there will surely be a market for Cagiva Mito's and Aprilia RS125's in the future - if any survive. I think the original Fireblade and the 916 are already classics to be honest, and the MV F4 is a shoe-in!

5. Early blade or r1 for sure, they may be plentiful now, but I remember when KR1S and RGV's were too, now they are rapidly thinning out. I'm going to be investing in a laverda 668 or 750 formula in the near future.

6. Misses had a Laverda 650 sport-Kevlar edition. Wish we still had it.
    I too would like a 750 formula :)

#6 Balmy, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  7. Guzzi Le Mans mk4.

With any luck...

8. Wish I had invested in an RS250 or NSR250 a few years back, money was tight though.. Think I would tread carefully at the moment as prices seem to be on a high for older bikes. My money would probably go on a Factory RSV Mille, maybe a Haga factory rep or similar rare version. IMO money needs to go on something that hasn't already started to appreciate to sharply.

9. The original Bronze Hayabusa, a game changer in the quest for speed a Guinness Book Record holder, or maybe not but certainly a machine such as the 916 -F4s or a Homologation type bike that captured the Headlines would be my choice.

10. I was lucky to have a windfall from an endowment 2 years ago and instead of paying some of the mortgage, as I had purchased a Series 1 Exige two years previously and it had already climbed in value significantly (now pushing £30K) I bought:

998 BIP (with £9K of extras including full Termi system and Carbon body work and all original new parts too) plan was to put back to standard and sell the bits but not got round to it yet!
    R1
    R6
    ZXR750
    GSXR750RR (1986 Limited with dry clutch)

First model R1's and R6's are a good bet but they must have very low miles - they are common but they had a huge cult following. It's all about getting one for the right price and very low miles! My R1 and R6 are both new with zero miles. If your interested I would consider moving the R6 on as I am running out of room (have run out of room) - it would be £6K firm and is a UK spec 2000 launch model in blue.

ZXR750RR (K1) - is a good bet, they do come up for well under £5k but you have to be lucky and very quick.
    GSX-R 750 was a steal (and I never even new this model existed until I saw it for sale on a spurious little web site) worth double what I paid too I think. This would tell you to not worry so much about seeking a particular bike - but one that looks like a great deal - keep your mind open (as long as you like what you buy if your buying it to appreciate like a piece of art ;-)

Over the last 6 months following a house sale I purchased more - again instead of paying more off the mortgage:

Hayabusa (Jack Frosts British Land Speed Record holder from 2001 to 2012) - 2000 miles, 440 BHP and only one careful owner :eek:
    Should be a good bet for it's history.
    999S BIP - now for sale as I have the R's.
    999R - probably at the bottom of the value now but dealers are starting to push these to £10 to £12k
    999R Fila
    Aprilia RSV-R Factory
    Suzuki GSX-R 1000K1 (first model) again new with zero miles.
    999 Stoner Rep (Prototype :smile:)

And this week, an MV F4S 750 with 4600 miles (£5100) these are being pushed up by dealers to £7k with low mileage.

As a general rule I have bought with less than 7000 miles and wisely (my opinion only :wink: but always bought with my heart too as it is important I think).

First year 916 Strada's - I turned down one with 18,000 miles with full history at £4750 6 months ago and should have bought it I think - they will go up as only about 1200 were made globally of the launch / first year model.

Check the Bonham's web site for results of the Stafford show in April this year - there were some bargains and if you go with an open mind you can grab a bargain - watch for the auction fever though!

Last bit of advice: sod the mortgage, buy bikes!!! :)

Keep an open mind and happy searching - hope that was of some help.

11. after reading in numerous magazines how certain bikes can be a good investment if bought at the right time and for the right price, im considering spending up to 5k on a bike but not sure what would be a good investment. 996/998's, rc30 etc are obviously out the price range but are bikes like 916's, f4 750's, cbr 900rr, 99 r1 or 2 strokes such as the cagiva mito a good choice??

Any suggesions are appreciated :)

not a Ducati but for £5k you should look at a Honda VTR SP1/2 a homologation bike they will rise in price remember Edwards (VTR SP1) vs Bayliss (996R) check this out....mind you Bayliss only lost cause of a bit of a moment on the last corner

image.jpg

image.jpg

#11 Russ, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  12. sounds like quite a collection you've built up mateim in the same boat with the mortgage decision but thats boring and my garage is seriously down on bikes :(thinking about trying to pick up one bike per year but dont want to jump in until i have a bit of knowledge on the subject.as for the R6 thanks for the offer but im afraid its over my budget :(which specs of 748/916/996/998 are likely to become the rarest?do you think a low mileage 748r or aprilia rsv 1000 factory would be a good buy?and one more question, do you get all of your bikes serviced yearly or does this not effect value if their not in use?thanks for the advice and good luck with the collection.

13. not a Ducati but for £5k you should look at a Honda VTR SP1/2 a homologation bike they will rise in price remember Edwards (VTR SP1) vs Bayliss (996R) check this out [/QUOTE]good shout didnt think of the sp1/2. what prices do these start at? should 5k pick up a clean low mileage example

14. Low milage 748R (Ohlins model) or 749R would be better than the RSV Factory - due to rarity, bide your time and buy the lowest mileage one you can for the least money!
    Keep them warm if you can - extreme cold cycles through winter are not good - I'm just building an extension for some of mine to sit in - but they are in a dry thick walled wooden garage at the moment (3 in the house). It's better not to start them periodically as this does more damage. Oil down the bores and turn the engine by hand a few times. Seal the intakes and exhausts after a spray with WD40 or similar. Paddock stands are good. Bike Tec ones which go through hollow axles are good and don't stick out (and they are cheap). It is good to bounce the suspension and work the brakes every 3 months too. It's better to store them properly for future value - no point servicing until they are re commissioned. I will run one or two of mine a year only, along with my regular road bike.

15. For me it would be the 748R see quote below.

" Ducati dramatically updated its 748 line in 2000 with the 748R, which the Bologna firm described as the 'most advanced bike it had ever produced'. A comprehensively revised fuel-injection system combined with larger airbox, bigger valves, new cams and pistons, CNC-machined cylinder heads and titanium conrods to give 106bhp, or 112bhp with race exhaust. A revised frame (same as the foggy Rep) and new Showa forks also contributed to a bike of stunning roadgoing performance and unprecedented racetrack ability"

* I have owned both the Haga and Edwards Aprilia Rep and IMHO I can never see any of the Aprilia Models including the Nero holding or gaining any real value.

#15 V2FAN, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  16. good shout didnt think of the sp1/2. what prices do these start at? should 5k pick up a clean low mileage example[/QUOTE]
    They vary but I was looking at the one in the pictures it's up in Ipswich 7k miles MOTs to back up mileage varied service history but its an absolute minter in the Edwards Castrol rep colours it was up at £5250 he said he'd take £5k but I reckon he'd go £4750 it's a real cracker though might still have a go at it then I'd have both 2000 and 2001 WSBK Championship winning homologation bikes in the garage and TSR Worldwide (google them) do some tasty HRC rep bits you can have almost a Honda HRC works bike mind you the parts come to £45k that's without having it all put on.......LOL

17. I wouldnt say any 'future classic' is an investment, if it keeps up with inflation over ten or twenty years your doing ok. They cost money to insure and store, and give no income. Also when interest rates go up, which they will in the next few years, the opportunity cost of holding these 'investments' increases, and it then doesnt take much to see prices fall.

That said I played this game twenty years ago (I started early), bought a mint SS desmo, a MHR, couple of rare Laverdas and so on. I was happy if they didnt depreciate and enjoyed working on them and riding them on sunny days. Five years ago I added a mint 888 which I still have and use regularly. Its worth more now then when I bought it, I'd happily buy another if I was in the market for a future classic.. prices have bottomed out, but havent gone mad yet. Better option than a 916, as they are much rarer and have the start of a cult following. Honda SP1 /2 is another good option, Honda build quality with the HRC link (if a little tenuous). Any 'R'model is also worthwhile, though prices have always been high for these. I dont feel the 748 / 9 & R6 models will be as sort after in the future as the 916 / 999 & R1 equivalents, most buyers will be middle aged men with the mortgage paid off, buying nostalgia, the bike they wanted when they were young and that means the bigger/faster models. Original R1s, Blades, GSXRs are all future classics (especially the RR versions), but none will be cheap if original, and can you imagine how expensive it will be to put a well used / modded superbike back to original condition. To make good money, a bike needs to be immaculate, original, rare and desirable when new.. you pays your money and takes your choice.. I'd probably go for a XR1200 as an oddball, could be a future XLCR - usable, simple, rare with excellent spares backup for many years ahead.

18. If you want a ducati look for a 900 Superlight or a 851/888's
    But TBH They should be ridden and not stored away :smile:

19. That pictured SP1 looks odd to me, its clearly an SP1 (as per the forks and swingarm) but says SP2 on the fairing. Aftermarket panels or paintjob?

20. After having a look around im starting to narrow it down looking for some opinions on these?

748r (ohlins) or 916 strada?? (what would be better option)

Honda sp1 or sp2 ?? (differences/best option)

Also seen some nice low mileage 2003 r1's (with the integrated led tail light) for 3k, these are the nicest r1's in my opinion but not sure if they will be sought after??

Would love a 749r but a bit out of my price range for now :(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information