1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gambia - Holiday Recommended?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone been to Gambia?
    Good place to visit in February or March?
    Best hotels, restaurants, beaches and things to do?

Looking for a chilled adults only break...
    Flying from Heathrow.
    Went quite a few times in my 20's.... but that was a log time ago.

2. Sounds idyllic :thinkingface:

GOV.UK uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

[​IMG] GOV.UK
    Search

1. Home
    2. Passports, travel and living abroad
    3. Travel abroad
    4. Foreign travel advice
    Foreign travel advice

The Gambia
    1. Summary
    2. Safety and security
    3. Terrorism
    4. Local laws and customs
    5. Entry requirements
    1. Health
    2. Natural disasters
    3. Money
    4. Travel advice help and support
    Subscriptions
    Safety and security
    Crime
    Attacks on tourists are increasing, particularly the theft of passports and other valuables from hotel rooms. Don’t take valuables or large sums of money to the beach, or display them in public. Take particular care when visiting isolated beaches and markets.

Both male and female visitors should be particularly cautious of young men locally known as ‘bumsters’ who approach tourists, particularly on beaches, offering help or to act as local guides. Be polite but firm in refusing unwanted help or attempts at conversation. Visitors should also be wary of offers, usually from ‘bumsters’, to take them on tours into Senegal. It is unlikely that the correct immigration procedures, which might include obtaining a visa for Senegal, will be followed. This could result in detention by immigration authorities.

Don’t leave valuables in unattended vehicles. Take particular care in unlit areas or in places away from the Tourist Development Area.

Corruption is endemic at all levels.

Local travel
    Travel in The Gambia is reasonably safe as long as you take sensible precautions to safeguard your personal possessions.

Road travel
    You can drive using a UK driving licence for up to 3 months.

Driving standards are bad and roads severely potholed. Driving after dark carries added hazards because of poor road and vehicle lighting. In the event of an accident, emergency medical facilities are very limited. Security checkpoints are common on all major routes in The Gambia. They are not always well sign-posted and you should take care when approaching them.

Rainfall occurs in The Gambia between June-October. Heavy rainfall can create localised flooding. Take care if you’re going up-country or travelling on non-paved roads during this period.

Some local taxis are not roadworthy.

Air travel
    A compulsory Airport Development Fee must be paid on exiting the country. The fee is 20 euros, or equivalent in local currency. Visa credit card is accepted, but no others. Passengers in transit and infants under 2 years old are exempt. Check with your travel company whether this fee has been included in your air ticket.

River travel
    Take care when using the ferry between Banjul and Barra. It can be very crowded and safety measures are not up to European standards. When using the ferry get out of your vehicle quickly after parking to avoid becoming trapped inside for the duration of the journey. Don’t use the ferry after dark.

Pirogues (wooden dug-out canoes) operate in The Gambia. These can be overloaded and safety measures are not up to European standards. They are not recommended for long journeys and you should make sure they have life jackets.

#2 Exige, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sounds like fun.. id prefer Syria at this time of year...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Makes Kabul look like an attractive option.

Banjul. Not my cup of tea. Alright if you're looking for a heap of fake tat, like sunglasses, bags and watches. I know this continent very well. I have a mate that lives in Namibia. It's the only place I'd consider visiting in my own free time. There's a lot of agro in Africa. And I mean a lot.

5. Is Mogadishu still tourist friendly?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Kind of.... But make sure you don't venture outside the French Foreign Legion barracks.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. You lot have been exceptionally helpful on this....:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. Tenerife it is then! :):upyeah::sun::beer::party:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bumsters.....That'd put me off right there :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Reading between the lines :eyes: #not recommended then :thinkingface: just for clarity :blush: bring on the next destination?

11. Don't listen to Elise, AC.

Don't go to Gambia, it is not safe for your or for the Missus.

12. Tenby? :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nah!.........to dangerous there, it’s full of stag does and hen parties and people with mobility scooters :D

14. What about Slough? Can't get into too much trouble there!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. And only 6 miles away for him - could walk :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scarborough. Free motorcycle parking & lots of ice-cream & Seagulls.

17. No good for his Mrs I'm afraid ................. :eyes:

18. "Seagulls" tend to cluster around cars, not bikes.

Just sayin'.

19. They cluster around fish & chips at Scarborough. Bloody nuisance. Not that I ever eat them at coast as always bloody awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information