1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Alarm

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Justatad, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Hi all, I’m looking to fit a 240 v alarm inside my garage, it’s an up & over door, I’m thinking motion sensor & remote control to arm / disarm
    Does anyone out there have a system similar to the above that they could recommend
    Cheers

2. Just a tip from an ex installer. If you fit PIR sensors, fit 2 & wire in parallel so they both have to be tripped to set off alarm. Stops nuisance tripping.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I use a thing called Canary. Not so much an alarm, more a motion sensor with camera and infra red, video recording and net connection to my phone for alerts. The alarm is manually triggered by the phone. You can also speak into the phone with audio out of the garage unit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mate of mine who does Classic bikes has video cameras all over the place & alarms. All operated from his phone. If he is abroad & someone presses door bell at home , he can answer & tell them to go away etc from a few thousand miles away. Looks at his camera,s zoom, pan, etc. He is paranoid about theft. Although he has a lot of high value stuff to protect.

5. Is that like a vote system? They both have to see movement before they latch a trip??

I had a spurious alarm last year at 02.30... I shot down the stairs in my boxers ready to dish out some Steven Segal moves only to discover a huge daddy long legs bouncing around the PIR. Phew!!

I only have a single PIR but this is the only false alarm in 9 years so I'd say this is acceptable. My dogs would pick up any intruders outside and they'd go barmy.

6. CCTV for me too. 5 cameras covering everything and all accessible from my phone and movement alerts when I’m out.

7. I've got similar set up. Works off a SIM card.

8. Sorry I should have been more informative. In a garage, there are many things that can cause a false alarm. Wind blowing under door or through roof areas. Sunlight coming through a window causing a sudden hotspot. Or even a as said spider or a small rodent. This or these would have to trip both PIR sensors at the same time . We used to put 2 in garages & also Conservatives.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Or a DualTec? or active beams

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yes to above.:upyeah::upyeah:

11. Have recently fitted one of these to my house...
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Yale-EF-KIT2-Easy-Fit-Telecommunicating-Alarm/p/103150

Really simple to set up, all sensors are wireless and you can add extra PIR's / door contacts afterwards.
    I have the garage set up as a separate zone so that is always alarmed even when you're in the house.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Oops. Battery hungry. Are the pp3 9v batteries.

13. CR2032's in the sensors, last around 18 month to 2 years

14. Fitted two last month or so. Both are up and over doors, I fitted a simple PIR and control panel to both, remembering to link out the un- used zones was a learning curve nowhere was it mentioned in the installation instructions.

#14 Carr01, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  15. The alarm I’ve fitted has a door contacts and a motion sensors and if the alarm is armed the alarm goes off the it sends a text to my phone. It comes with a key pad and key fob for turning it on and off

16. I have alarms for Jehovah's Witnesses.

17. Shotgun influenced?

18. Veritas build good alarms. Pir in garage set for double knock ie the sensor has to be tripped twice in ten seconds. Door contacts, auto dial.you can even buy pet proof sensors so rodents wont set it off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information