1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Floor Paint

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Over the past few weeks I built myself a garage to store the bikes, present & future, in and in which I can work on them regardless of the weather outside, which here in Ireland is :splat::splat::splat: over the winter months. The 748 needs a complete strip down and refurb complete with all those OEM nuts/bolts/screws being replaced with s/steel or Ti. I put a raised floor in the garage, even though there is a DPC under the concrete pad I laid, as I didn't want the cold coming through the floor to affect them, or me :).

So the question is, and the advice which I seek, what's the best way to cover the OSB board on the floor? Same with the workbench tops which are marine ply at present. All suggestions/advice from those in the know is gratefully received.

IMG_9641.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Used carpet tiles from an office.

Warm, comfy for the knees, screws don't bounce so far and once stained throw away the tile and replace.

I did my whole 6mx4.5m garage for £25 and have a big pile of spares.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Was about to disagree and say that is stupid - but if replacing oil stained tiles is easy then good option!

4. pull one up, put 1 down. 30 seconds.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Faster than I can spill the oil! And I suppose that you can always vac it!

6. I used interlocking rubber tiles there warm and easy on the knees

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I hover my garage more than the house. Wife doesn't appreciate that and mates think i'm insane.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Interlocking vinyl tiles, nephew got a load off evilbay and done his garage floor.
    I don't find OSB board very good with wear and tear.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I have Carpet tiles down also. Easy to replace, I haven't stuck them down so they have the tendency to move if I drag anything across the floor, easy enough to correct though.

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 12.57.09.png

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Halford's soft and thick interlocking ones are often half price - @bradders fitted them a few years ago and rates them.
    I was going to check out the long rolls of rubber matting that Machine Mart sell, worth a look too as a good value option.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. There is a place in Skegness that does a lot of different types of rubber flooring. They advertise on ebay but I just contacted them directly.
    I had some for the back of my van and it was really good quality.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Similar stuff is rubber stable mat( or matting ) on ebay.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Skeggy and rubber mats in the back of the van..........
    nudge.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I purchased 2 rolls of checkered rubber and glued them down straight on the concrete slab. I went for 7mm, however I think on OSB boards 3mm should be more than enough.
    Had carpets before, they tend to move when using bike stands.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I'd seal the timber boards with a simple floor varnish, don't know the overall floor construction and how concerned you are with insulation. But as mentioned, a tile would be better, it's not a commercial garage so a contract carpet tile of vinyl tile would suit. Vinyl would be better, non slip type. I wouldn't use a foam or soft product, get mats for lying around the floor or a bike bench, expensive bloody things. If funds are an issue just do a small work area. Your stand etc will beat up the wooden floor

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Personally, I'd still seal the OSB with something, even if its a water based varnish or sealant. Its bad for holding water and damp and may eventually peel if left unsealed. What anyone else says for tiles. Concrete floors can look great if they have the right system down, but you'll never stop the damp from condensing on the floor I've noticed particularly in my own garage on an epoxy like below... ADM Boiler House (6).JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Get a dehumidifier if you have osb.. hopefully over a plastic membrane or it’s likely to warp
    Choose what you like for floor covering.. I have hard interlocking plastic tiles and rate them for durability , but carpet tiles are warm

For the benches , rubber matting works for me ..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information