1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Tool Boxes

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Pavey, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Has anyone got one of these or similar from eBay? Wondered what the quality is like or is there better out there?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-TO...var=510072568639&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I do actually need something big and heavy to chain the bikes to - currently use a site box with the chains going though the feet (which are loops externally to it) - with the above i may have to drill into it.

Any ideas for an alternative?

Thanks.

2. when you say chain to it, it's got wheels. Are you going to chain it to something solid?

3. I would take those castors off, then drill though the base unit (twice) to loop my chain through it. That one does look like it has a pull down draw front though so might scupper me.

4. I doubt they will be terribly big or heavy (in terms of locking things to things) - I've got a Clarke tool box and it's all sheet steel (as you'd expect). I think it wouldn't be that good for that purpose.

Do you have space to keep both? Would you not be better off filling the site box concrete blocks and using that as an effective ground anchor (I assume you can't install a ground anchor?)

5. I remember trying to coax my brother to get the halfords industrial draw sets. Put that £90 towards decent kit that will last.

• Agree Agree x 1

6. The site box is too big really (have changed locations as to where the bikes are stored). Need something similar so thought about getting a tool box at the same time.

7. Pay special attention to the sizes - a pal bought one of these eBay 'whizz-bang' offers and when received, it was like a toy one you'd buy for a child

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. If they want it, it won't matter what you do but as a deterrent, a 10 or 12 gallon oil drum full of concrete with a ring set in it for the chain is a start. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. From time to time machine mart do vat free days.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. 43884D5B-89B6-44E1-8ED4-4F6585BB9071.png I have a USPro with a centre box and side box - when full of tools it weighs a poxy ton but I’d rather go with the ground anchor and chain the box to that as well box and tools cost nearly as much as bike

But the us pro are pretty good for the money - picked one up in pic for about £600

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. They seem very cheap !

12. I've got some of the SGS stuff in the workshop. Good and strong and good value. Had a look at their tool chests whilst I was collecting and it's good. Better than Halfords Pro for less money..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. @Pavey, bit of a late reply, so you're probably sorted already, but was round a mates last night and he has literally just had these boxes delivered 2 days ago, as he said at 90 quid, they are worth the gamble ? No they are not, had a look last night, they are shite !! Flimsy piss poor quality with shit runners and castors made of cheese, utter crap !! :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thanks mate, haven't ordered yet luckily.

May go and check out the Clas Ohlson one as there is one not too far from me.

Will shed a tear for your mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. It's ok, he's not shy of a quid or two and said it was worth the gamble, but honestly mate, the quality was appalling. Years ago, I had some old Halfords red non bearing drawer types that were better than that, I now have the black Halfords roller ball type, can't fault them for what its worth :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I can't vouch specifically for the SGS tool cabinets, but I have an SGS 3Tn Trolley Jack at home.
    It's an excellent and very well made piece of kit that is still like new despite being used a lot over the last two years to lift my 2.7Tn Disco 3.
    It's so 'well built' that I had to help the Courier lift it out the back of his van when it arrived.

With the Forum Trade discount scheme I purchased one of these recently, and the trade discount was taken off an already discounted price. I think I ended up paying less than £65.

Hal TB.jpg

It's turned out to be very well built, and I'm very pleased with it. I have stripped off all the Halfords branding and have actually ordered some large Ducati decals to go on it.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  17. Depends how much you want to spend

But this is same as I have and really happy with it - 10 year warranty 59A0D802-AA3A-4ACE-AB1B-7BCD656B2FFF.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. Feck me, don't think I got enough tools to fill it !! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information