1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin Basecamp Knowledge Pool Zoom Chat - Thursday The 16th July, 7pm

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Bumpkin, Jul 1, 2020.

1. As discussed elsewhere. Anyone up for a Zoom session to discuss and screen-share a collective pool of knowledge on Garmin Basecamp?

I know a lot of people struggle to get to grips with this program, I gave up in the early days and went back to their earlier route planning software Mapsource. Neither are particularly user friendly in the Google Maps drag and drop sense of the word. In the end, some time after Garmin stopped supporting Mapsource, I gave it another go and got over the hump of the learning curve.

I have a Zoom account and can set-up a meeting at a date/time to suit. To start with; who's in?

My internet here is pretty crap so things might be a little slow on a screen share from my end, we'll see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I’m in and can do day time most days of the week and early evening again most days of the week. As an early riser, I do tend to flag around 7pm which is not good for learning. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh and I only have an iPad with a camera and microphone, my PC is just that, nothing fancy. Andy

4. Download zoom app and works perfectly

5. I haven't used Zoom before but am happy to give it a go.
    Timing-wise I'm easy - my weekdays are pretty much my own.

6. I still use tyre, it's useful for when you want to book hotels on the route.

7. Would love to join but only to listen for tips as I haven't got a clue how to use basecamp and would love to learn

8. MyRouteApp does similar, dropping you into Booking.com for the given location. Doesn't seem to do it too well on mobile though as it tries to use your current location rather than the location of the point on the map. It does the latter on a PC.

That's not a problem, hopefully you'll learn something.

As to a date for the Zoom session, how about Thursday the 16th July at 7pm?

Will set-up the meeting a few days in advance of this and circulate login details via private message.

#8 Bumpkin, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Good for me

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi all. I got my XT yesterday and have been fiddling with it ever since, I am technically inept so would love to zoom too if possible?

• Like Like x 1
  11. This is happening the day after tomorrow (16th @ 7pm), just a bump in case there are any more who want to join. Will be PMing Zoom meeting details to those that expressed an interest later today.

12. So far we have the following who expressed an interest in attending the zoom meeting:

Android853sp
    michel couque
    Stanford
    Clarkey63

• Like Like x 1
  13. Replied to PM :D Andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Me too please

15. Will do if I manage to get Zoomed, to coin a phrase “ we’re all zoomed”

16. OK Dave, have added you to the 'conversation' with the link to the Zoom meeting tomorrow evening. Guess that'll work, I presume you can see the beginning rather than posts since you were added... let know if you can't see it.

17. @Bumpkin, just put my first route together using MyRoute App and successfully exported it to the Garmin using that converter thingy which MRA wanted me to download. I can see the gpx file in the Garmin’s memory and it loaded in My Trip App. Now have to wait until Thursday to see if it worked. It can only go one of two ways, Hay-on-Wye or Outer Mongolia :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. How’d it go guys? I was pre-booked so couldn’t join.

19. I found it very useful and informative and @Bumpkin is a good teacher. In the end I went with My Route App for my first attempt but I feel confident to try Basecamp if I got the MRA badly wrong. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Guys if you are as inept as me with anything to do with GPS or computers then go with MRA, it is a million times easier than basecamp.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information