1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gauges....Most Useful?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 18, 2012.

1. So OK.......the 900 SS has an oil temp gauge and I can see the purpose in that, but......

...when the oil temp has reached a high, the oil is a bit on the thin side and the pressure is dramatically reduced.

So wouldn't an oil pressure gauge be more useful?

After all, both temp and pressure gauges in this instance are electric types, both of which are normally considered to be less accurate than the capillary type.

And......while we are at it, my Guzzi Le Mans had a Voltmeter as standard, so wouldn't it be a good idea if a Voltmeter or Ammeter were fitted in conjunction with the charge warning light?

It would at least tell you something was up before the regulator got fried.......I haven't yet investigated where it could be wired to, though......but as far as I am aware, ammeters shouldn't be on the starter circuit........

AL

2. This would be handy for the battery / reg-rect status??

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Was looking at getting one of these when I had the CBR... :wink:

Nice and discreet - couldnt be dealing at looking at looking at many more clocks, its not a Spitfire, lol

3. Morning Al, When considering an amp meter for my 748 as there is no charging light fitted I opted for one of these,( eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace ) I went for the 8mm one and it works perfectly and doesn't take to much room up. They are very accurate as i found out after connecting to the nearest live point to the dash (after ignition turned on) which was the horn but with the engine running and the lights on there was enough voltage drop to activate the charge light to amber. So it is now connected directly to the battery with a very small switch so it can be isolated when not running.
    Steve
    PS hope you're well enough to enjoy your bike soon.

4. 470four you beat me to it. They do work.

5. Cool! Wherabouts have you mounted yours? My reg/rect has been replaced by an electrex one so Im not expecting any charging dramas - but it would be nice to hav that early warning...

6. That seems like a good little device.........but Birdie, are you saying it is normally wired so that it is permanently 'on'?

If so, there must be a way of wiring it into the ignition side of the wiring without the need for an additional switch, surely?

AL.

7. On the 748 i have fitted it on the right side of the rev counter it needs a 10mm hole. I fitted mine after I upgraded the wires from the genny to the regulator with a new connector un fortunatly the battery went flat on the first ride out ( just managing to get home) on inspection I found there was no continuity through one side of the new connector so another new connector was fitted along with this charge light.
    Steve

8. +1

May get one if we can work out where to fit the thing??

9. Yes al I originally wired it to work with ignition on only but on my bike there was enough voltage drop at that point to have the light flickering between amber (12.75amp) and Green (13.2) amps and I couldnt find another point to connect to without this voltage drop so I went straight to the battery. It might be better on another bike that charges at a higher voltage than mine.
    Steve.

10. Maybe somewhere in the fusebox? There are two spare terminals? Electrics not my strong point, lol

11. Yep tried there but I can only presume that the power goes to the ignition switch then back to the fuse box resulting in the same voltage drop.
    Steve

12. Possibly in the red/white wire between the IGN switch and the main relay (terminal number 85)?

Or......and I have to check it, in the circuit that holds the big 30amp fuse between the battery and the regulator, because as far as I can see, that wire can be used instead of running a new one from the Electrex reg back to the battery.

I don't know if the RR51 is effectively 'live' all the time, or does it become 'live' when the ignition goes on?

(I have an RR51 reg fitted)

AL

13. Al isn't the 30 amp fuse live all the time?

14. Well....possibly....it only protects the regulator.......so unless the workings of the reg means it gets earthed without the ignition 'on', then in theory it is live but not passing current.

AL.

15. Birdie and 470four.......I think this is how you would do it.....

AL.

16. Nice one Al that's the way to do it, you have got time on your hands.
    Steve

That is defo on my to do list.

17. Just by chance I have a couple of spare relays knocking about in the garage, now where shall I start.

Workshop 005.jpg

Workshop 005.jpg

18. Unfortunately I have time on my hands because in addition to being rough, I can't produce my work and therefore I'm not earning......

....so I might have to start selling a few things.......

.....like this for example......(approx 750mm x 500mm)

AL

PS...so Birdie is chippie?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Incidentally......if an RR51 reg/rec is fitted and the original wire with the big 30amp fuse is defunct and not used to feed the reg/rec, then the spare end should be somewhere up near the headstock (mine is on the frame, near the left headlight subframe) which is ideal for fitting a 40 amp relay and wiring to the battery monitor; leaving the relay and monitor protected (in theory) by the fuse.

AL.

20. Hello Al

I dont know about all this electrickery hoo hah...but re the Temp gauge, surely a) the gauge is there for you to keep an eye on so you dont let it overheat and b) as long as its within its designed heat limits surely the engine will be up to thinner oil at a lower pressure?

just my tuppence worth! :cool:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information