1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Gear Change Lever Damaging My Boots!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by firecat0_0, May 26, 2019.

1. I have have just come back from a a few days away on the bike and have noticed the gear lever set up on my relatively new 1260 is chewing up my boot!

The bottom edge of the rubber sleeve on the gear lever is showing signs of wear so it looks like I am changing gear with only that part of the lever. I must admit I never consciously think about my foot position when changing gear it just sort of happens!

At this rate I am going to be wearing a hole in my boots before the end of summer. Clearly there is no lateral adjustment but do you think raising or lowering the vertical height might improve things?

2. I experienced exactly the same problem and damaged my Daytona boot badly. Unfortunately, it has no reinforcement over the spot where I was touching the gear lever during gear changes. My "solution" is to wear boots that do have reinforcement in the right place. Initially, I used Sidi Adventure boots but then found that the ankle hinge scratched the clutch cover badly and quickly wore through tape I used to try and protect it. I am now using BMW Gravel boots which seem to fit the bill.
    Raising or lowering the lever is of course possible but in my case, I didn't want the lever higher as I would then have to lift my foot off the peg to change down. I do try consciously these days to point my toe down so that when changing up, my foot is properly under the gear lever. I got used to using the side of my boot riding in Motocross boots off-road and the habit stuck with me. Now that I no longer ride off-road I need to retrain my feet!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Have a look at the TCX waterproof ‘converse’ type bike boot. It has a sleeve that’s elasticated and fits over the shoe to stop wear marks.

So you may be able to make a similar thing up pretty easily, if so inclined.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You could try putting some Sugru on the lever. Might work.

I’ve noticed the top of the lever on my DVT 1200 is already showing signs of wear.
    Not quite so bad for the boot though.

5. There are still, if you look around, plenty of cobblers. Once you see where the wear from the lever is impacting on your boot, you could ask them to either sew on a protective patch if there isn't one in that location, or ask what they recommend as a heavier wearing material/adaption, to protect the boot?

6. Go on, admit it noobie, you’re talking cobblers. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. They're usually located right next to the blacksmiths.

8. How dare your sir ! Although you may have a point :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information