1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Selector Spring Gone ?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by johnny, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Repeat of post on Ducati MS
    I am pretty sure that my gear selector return spring has broken

I am able to select a gear down only once then i have to centre with my foot and I can select again, lever does not return. So correct me if i'm wrong I think I have to take the left hand crank case cover off for which i will need to drain the oil and then use a puller then find the spring fragment and replace the spring is there anything i should do while i'm in there bike is 18 years old and 45K miles

2. Yep, oil out (unless you can tilt it to the right securely enough), Laser do a crankcase puller which is cheap enough and works. You’ll need some 3bond, or similar liquid gasket, when reassembling it. I’m pretty sure you can get to it without removing the flywheel. You may need a new seal for where the gearbox output shaft comes through the crankcase cover.

The sad thing is it will probably take longer to get the fairing off so you can get to it than the crankcase cover and replacing the spring :confused:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Um, I am a dab hand at the fairing now after many visits and some mods. Coolant out too?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. LOL, sorry for the late reply, yes, coolant out as well as the water pump has to come off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OK Well into it now, spring was broken. I changed both springs. Took the chance to repaint the case too. Made a two errors on assembly so had to do the job of refitting the case three times

#5 johnny, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information