1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Gearbox Issue

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Boomer, May 21, 2018.

1. upload_2018-5-21_11-55-1.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. BTW PGP is ex-Snell lead technician, but I like to think of him as a mechanic because he fixes and makes things better, not just bolt and go ;)

#2 bradders, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks guys, you're all making me feel better about this (and my trip is safe) :upyeah::upyeah:

4. Both springs, circlip and fork on order - £24 in parts £75 in tools & liquid gasket!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. I can categorically state that tool doesn’t fit my bike.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. Got the flywheel off, the Laser flywheel holding device does not fit 1200 Mutleys correctly....
    Anyway, no broken springs, the selector arm was jammed between the gear & selector drum pin. Removed it and reset it and all is well.
    So what caused this:
    I adjusted the gear lever lower to where it worked best for me (standard position was seeing me get a lot of false neutrals on up shift). On a trip in France last year, I was being a bit spirited on a roundabout and the lever dragged on the floor-this caused it to flip 180 degrees backwards. The force on the shaft must have moved the whole mechanism on the two mounting bolts as it’s mounted via elongated holes to enable adjustment. It must have been pulled forward to max position that it happened to jam when changing gear. I’m just glad it happened here rather in the Dolomites in a fortnights time
    Now, does anyone know how to set up the gear lever mechanism correctly so I don’t have this happen again?

CE374793-33A0-4AC6-88ED-38F6116E36B9.jpeg

42B7593A-4CED-4C7C-940D-573A6DCB457A.jpeg

EF23DBEA-E68E-446E-9A91-7CD6CF531178.jpeg

7. I'm truly sorry about that. I hadn't realised that there was change to the tool for the MTS and later models.

• Like Like x 2
  8. No problem, I managed to improvise it to get the nut off.....just need to improvise for the torqueing up :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. And what was the problem with the gear change?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. while your at it Beef, make sure bolts 1 and 3 on my attached diagram are not loose (one M8, one M6) as has been known to happen particularly as you 'touched down' on gearlever.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Chris, they were very tight but I will ensure to torque them correctly.

12. I did the very same job on my 2011 pikes peak the other year..spoke with DMC wanted a small fortune and were backed up in workshop so did it my myself. Bought tool off fleabay £25ish and gasket sealer from demon tweeks in Wrexham (exactly the same as Ducati less badge for a fraction of the price!) as bike had just been serviced retained all fluids (also easy to know amount to replace). There was a recall on early Multi’s to upgrade springs DMC told me? Hardest thing was getting correct position on selector but with patients & small adjustments got there. I’m sure i did a post on it but for the life of me am unable to find it!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information