1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearing For Track

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Hey

Gearing for track, in an ideal world should you be aiming to get to peak power in 6th by the end of the longest straight?

Normally I don't get past 5th so should/could I alter the gearing to get into 6th?

This would improve acceleration, right?

TIA

2. Have a look a this chart. It’s the kind of thing we used whilst I was racing mx.
    Ruffly 1 tooth on the front worth 3 teeth on the back was what we used to go on but careful not to change your wheelbase too much as bike handling characteristics will change

24DD71B6-7105-4DC4-9DDA-5537B4E30356.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Depends on a lot of things.

The track. The bike. The conditions. Riders pace. Riders preference

to name but a few

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gearingcommander.com

Go one down on the front, suits out bikes at most tracks.

Amazed you're not hitting top tho at Snett, Silvertsone definitely, every bike I've ridden there has been in or close to red line on fastest straight

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Snett I might, and possibly Silverstone, can't really remember. Definitely don't get out of 5th at Donny.

But should I be aiming to have the gearing to hook 6th at every track?

6. down one on the front
    Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 16.51.25.png

7. Donny, GSXR 750 k8, dry, fast group (1:46 Donny),

8. It's a good site, especially as it tells you if you need a longer chain.

9. And difference with standard. IMHO you gear for the fastest part off the circuit to use almost all the revs in top. Unless its a small, 140mph max circuit, but again shorter gearing can help acceleration. But can get messy when it comes to mid-corner changes, hence most seem to drop one off the front then fine tune with rear cogs
    Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 16.53.21.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Not necessarily. Most road bikes (Ducatis especially) have sixth gear as a big jump from fifth to get good economy on Motorways. The danger is by changing the gearing (with sprocket variation), is the other gears will be too short. It depends a lot on which track you are thinking of. I would tend to lower the gearing but not worry too much if sixth is hardly used. Depends upon the track.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. You've paid for them you may as well use them all ;)

On ducatis it can help to lengthen the gearing (smaller capacity bikes) as you stay at toque on gear change (castle combe is a classic example)

12. Mallory for example need good acceleration from the first four gears whereas Snetterton has v. long straight where you might need sixth but unless you can change actual gears, it is still a compromise.

13. you need 6th on both straight IME on a 1000 IL4 with slightly shorter gearing. Avoids 1st at the hairpin too

14. If you are getting to sixth on an IL4 at Mallory then you are going flipping well there. I've done it on a GSXR750 and a Ducati Test day when I borrowed a 749. I never really count gears but I'm pretty sure that I never got sixth!!!:scream:

15. I was talking about Snett lol

Haven't done Mallory on a big bike. but reckon 5th on the straight easy as its a decent speed corner that leads on to it

16. Depends on LOTS of factors, not just hitting top speed/gear on the straight IMO.
    I personally hate having to shift just before braking, so will sometimes (depending on the track) go down a couple on the back. Jerez was a good example of this on the run to T5.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. This is true - there’s no magic bullet for this - each bike, track and rider is going to be different.

If you are between gears mid corner and not getting drive in the right places then just hitting 6th on the straight isn’t going to improve your lap times.

Plus - read this - it’s a little hard going but an eye opener to how small changes can affect bike handling.

https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/how-motorcycle-swingarm-adjustments-impact-traction/

18. Just leave it standard mate.

19. He needs to shorten the gearing imho, like every bike when used on track.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wonder what my Suzuki is running?? :thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information