1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerbing Heated Gloves 12v

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Topbox, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Opinions appreciated. The heated grips on my Multi have packed in and as I have 2 bikes I thought heated gloves the answer as I can wear them on both bikes.

So on my first trip to the shop I tried them out plugged them into the hella plug and could hardly tell they were on. The assistant agreed with me and a call to Gerbing drew a we dont know whats happening. Power was getting to the controller and we could get the blue green and red lights but the gloves were not heating up. So I came away without them.

Then I read on the Gerbin website that for bikes with a canbus electrics its best not to use the Hella plug but plumb it direct to battery. Ah I thought thats it. So I went back in the car this am and bought them and plumbed them direct into battery.

When I started the bike up and plugged the gloves in I got the same result on all heat settings. This is for gloves that lock max heat setting for fear of burning hands. (BTW I used the 3 amp fuse as they are rated 2.2 amps).

Anyone got any helpful ideas.

Thanks in advance.

TB

2. Try Kies heated gloves.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Topbox,
    Something definitely wrong there. They toast your hands mate. Obviously it takes 1 min or 2 until you start feeling the heat. Do not test them without running the engine or it will draw your battery.
    Have you bought the same pair that you tested in store? If so, they may have a problem. They should have given you an unopened pair.
    Even if that's the case, WARRANTY mate! The heating elements have warranty for life. My first pair, after three years of use in extreme conditions and lots of rain gave up in one hand. Brought back to get geared where I bought them with original receipt and 1 week later had the heating elements replaced in both hands.
    My current pair of xrs12 is one year old now and saved my trip from South Coast to Birmingham at MCN live show last year at 0 to 2°C all the way and back. And I never put them on the red setting, only amber.
    I am so sorry for your frustration but insist with the store. They should give you or order a new pair immediately. They are not cheap as everything else for bikes and is not something you should keep trying and buying different ones.

#3 Rover, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I got in touch with Gerbing and they sent me a new controller. That made no difference. I even had them wired direct to the battery of the Multi and my Kawasaki . I then went back to the store and they couldn't get them to work either using the Hella plug ( I've now found out canbus might only be a problem if the draw is more than 5 amps). I was so fed up I got a refund. Gerbing have asked for the gloves back for testing. Others on this forum rate the Gerbing gloves as well, so i keep scratching my head a wonder if its me ?

Where do you draw the power from for yours?

TB

5. Clearly a power station that we have no access to. I tried the Gerbing versions at a motor show and they were very mild to say the least. Your not the first or last to say how little heat they give out

• Like Like x 1
  6. Connected straight to the battery. And I can tell you that journey to Birmingham last year in mid temp setting still gave me some red hot points on my hands when I arrived. It's a shame gerbing couldn't sort your issue. As I said they were very quick in the past for me. But since you've got a refund go for Keis them. I still would say no heated grips would beat a good pair of heated gloves.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I have the heated grips and the Keis inner gloves.

Putting the gloves on with the Rukka dual sleeve on jeacket is a bit of a faff - especially the second hand... when your already gloved up... but it does the job well.

8. I’ve been using Gerbing XRS for 2 years now. Coldest I’ve ridden in was -2 degrees. I tried “red” setting and had to turn them down to “amber” as they literally burnt my hand! I had a blister on my knuckle to prove it :(

They’re one of my favourite ever bike gear purchases and an absolute game changer for winter riding.

Unfortunately, you have a faulty pair or something isn’t installed correctly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Does anyone know if you can use Keis wiring to supply the Gerbin gloves... quite like the look of the XRS Gloves - but have a Keis Bodywarmer that currently powers the gloves... connections looks similar...

10. I took a look at the Keis inner gloves but they felt too thick for inner gloves.

TB

Do Not Sell My Personal Information